34

Stefano POV

Was she eavesdropping?

I turn to face Gonzales, a messenger between me and the Colombian drug lord, Reyes. He is looking in the direction of the scream.

"Don't mind that. Just reassure him that everything's fine, let him know that as long as he stands with me there won't be any problems." I tell him then place my drink on the table, afterward I shake his hand and he walks away with a smile.

After making sure he left, I walk towards the living room. My heart races with the thoughts of her. She was sleeping so peacefully, so beautifully that I didn't want to wake her up.

I wanted to die right then and there.

Entering the room from the backyard, I see her sitting on the couch at the top of the room with a blanket covering her legs. She knows I'm here but she's pretending like I'm not.

She's so cute I want to eat her!

"Did you sleep well?" I approach her with a smile, I extend my hand to caress her hair but she moves her head back and looks up at me with frowned brows.

Why does every little gesture of hers make my heart racing?

She definitely heard the conversation earlier.

I sigh then grab my jacket getting ready to leave. As I start walking a few steps, I speak.

"Go to bed early and you'll get used to it"

Almost immediately after I said that and walked away, I hear her concerned and scared voice speak.

"Where are you going?"

I look behind me to see her standing up and looking at me with pleading eyes. I see Nana standing next to her with a cup in her hands looking at Milena with a surprised look. It seems like she stood up fast, and it startled Nana.

She said nothing was wrong last night, why is she acting so strange?

I walk back to her, getting closer to her so only she can hear my voice.

"What's wrong?" I ask her with a serious voice.

"Nothing." She replies while looking up at me with wet cat-like eyes.

"If you need anything tell Alessandro, I'm leaving" I speak after a moment of silence.

No matter how much I try to read her or how much I get to know her, it's still impossible for me to understand her. I turn around and walk away. But before I leave out the door I hear her sweet voice again.

"Don't be late!"

I stop in my tracks and smile to myself.

So she wants me back soon huh?

The next day (5:12 AM)

I stand in front of the door wondering whether to open it or not. I came back late despite her asking me not to be. I wonder if she's mad at me...

Believing that she's asleep, I open the door slowly and enter. The sun hasn't come out yet and the room is still dark, but there's no sign of her. I panic for a moment before I hear an object falling on the floor.

I walk with fast steps towards the closet with worry and see her picking up a shoe with one hand and holding a piece of cloth in the other.

Is she cleaning at this hour?

She looks at me with a deadpan expression, there's no sign of her sleeping. But unlike yesterday when she was wearing a short dress, she's now wearing a long one, covering her entire body. Without paying any attention to me, she returns to her cleaning.

Could it be that she can't sleep without me? It can't be...

"Why are you up at this hour?"

No response.

"How many hours did you sleep?"

No response, once again.

Getting irritated at her ignoring me, I walk towards her and grab the piece of cloth out of her hands. She still refuses to look at me and stares into the closet instead.

"Can you at least answer?"

No response.

I want to yell out her beautiful name, I want to call her, to make her look at me without forcing her. But I can't. She's too innocent, she's too pure for me to even mention her name. 

And I'm scared, I'm scared that she'll leave.

Deciding it's better to let her be, I take a step back. I don't know why she's angry, but I will find out soon. I grab her hand and hand her the piece of cloth. Then I take off my clothes while walking towards the bathroom to take a shower.

After a good 15 minutes, I come out and wear a bathrobe. Looking straight at the closet in front of me, I see some clothes folded on the counter.

I smile knowing she placed them there.

Before walking into the closet, I take a look at the bedroom and see her sitting on the couch... knitting?

She's knitting something, lost in her world. There's not a single emotion showing on her face. After wearing the clothes she chose for me, I decide to do the same. She's wearing an uncomfortable dress so it's obvious she needs to change.

I look at her side of the closet, it's full of colorful dresses, then I open a drawer, and bingo! The first thing that caught my eye was a set of red lace pajamas. I take them out and first check if it has shorts, thankfully it is, if they were long ones I'd have to change them. I want to feel her beautiful legs in bed.

After confirming I place them on the counter then I walk out of the closet, towards her, and stand over her. Her hands stop after seeing me so close and her head slowly moves up as she feels my hand stroking her hair.

She still refuses to look at me...

"Come on, let's sleep"

I know for a fact that she won't listen to me, so I won't move.

"You seem to like the way I pick you up, should I just do that?"

Immediately she looks up with the same angry expression as yesterday. She places her knitting items on a side and stands up. I feel her skin brushing against mine as she passes by me... once again, my heart goes crazy.

I take a seat on the couch and wait for her to come out, I don't want to miss this moment. I wore what she picked for me, she has no choice but to wear what I picked for her. I tap my feet while waiting, unable to hold in my excitement. But ...

She enters the room wearing MY shirt and MY pants, looking like a baby wearing her daddy's clothes. I can't even see her hands. Without even taking a glance at me, she walks to the bed holds up the sheets, and lies down. She finishes by turning off the light on the nightstand, then pretends to fall asleep.

WHAT THE FUCK?

It took me a while to get a grasp on the situation. I just sigh and give up, then move to the other side of the bed and lie down under the sheets facing her back.

She's too far from me... it wasn't like this last night... what went wrong?

Remembering her beautiful face sleeping soundly in my arms makes my heart flutter, but right now it's just the opposite. I can't help but feel sad. She's the only woman I ever woke up next to, but she's also the one I hurt the most. Although she said with a playful voice that I destroyed her life, I know for a fact that she meant it because she was ready to die right then and there. 

"I'm sorry" I say as I get closer to her and stroke her hair with my fingers. 

She doesn't move, doesn't speak. She just stays still, reminding me how much of an asshole I am. 

What do I need to do to make it up to her?