32

(Two days later. 2:15 AM)
Milena POV

It's been two days since the last time I saw Stefano, and ever since I haven't had a single moment of peace.. My trust issues were always there but they have become more intense after that.

Stefano is just as dangerous as any other man currently outside this house, but for some reason not seeing him has doubled my fear. I know there's nothing good about him, but at least when he was around... I felt... safe...?

Even though the atmosphere of this place is calm, and no men entered the house I still couldn't sleep. I am more scared without Stefano than when I'm with him... what if he's dead? What if something happened to him? What if he never comes back? How do I run away? I can't even set this place on fire knowing there are innocent people in here... 

So far, I've become closer to Nadia, the person Stefano calls Nana. She's from Mexico, a very kind lady who's been working here since Stefano was little. There's also a young pregnant woman working here by the name of Lucia. She seems to hate me for some reason, but I don't care. Apparently, she went through some rough times and Stefano is helping her.

According to Nadia, this home belonged to Stefano's late mother. She died a horrible death, but Nadia didn't share the details. She thinks me and Stefano are a 'thing', and I'm the 'first woman' he's ever brought home. It's a little strange knowing his work and personality, he seems to be old enough to be married, but no women? Does he have high standards or does he tell everyone about his work? 

I take a deep breath and gather all my courage to open the door. In these past days, I only went down once. I enjoyed spending time with Nadia, asking her questions, and watching her cook. I was hoping I'd get the chance to cook as it's been a while, but after seeing a suspicious guard outside the property staring at me constantly I returned to Stefano's room and haven't stepped out ever since. I need to thank Nadia for bringing meals for me.

I'm too scared. Without him, I'm too scared. I have never been around so many men and it scares me. I can't help but imagine the things they could have done had Stefano not ordered them to stay away from me. It seems like Stefano is the only solution to all my problems, but he's also my biggest problem... I don't know what to do anymore.

I take slow steps down the stairs while being extra cautious. Thanks to Nadia for getting me only sexy outfits, lingerie, and nightgowns, I need to walk around half-naked at this hour. Knowing no men are allowed in here other than Stefano, Johnny, and someone named Massimo is somehow reassuring, but I'm still scared.

Thanks to my anxiety, I finished my water very early. I know Nadia is sleeping and Lucia won't bring me anything, so I have no choice but to get it myself. All the lights are off, and only the dim lights of one room seem to be on which helps me not to lose my steps. I finally reach the kitchen and decide not to turn on the lights, in case the guards outside see me.

Walking towards the fridge, I extend my hand to open it but a familiar deep voice makes my heart beat faster and stop in my tracks.

"What are you doing?"

I breathe heavily, then turn around slowly to see his figure standing there in the dark, not so close but not too far from me.

"Stefano?"

"The knives aren't in the fridge"

"What knifes?" I ask him confused.

"Aren't you in the kitchen to grab something useful for your next scheme?"

"Ah..." I simply sigh... but why am I happy?

"Why are you walking around in that?" He asks with a little hint of anger in his voice after a moment of silence.

It's dark, I can't see his face clearly, but I know he was looking at me. Why is my heart beating so fast?

"Where were you?" I ask him, ignoring his question. To my surprise, he doesn't mind it.

"In the living room. Why were you walking around like you're about to burn the place down?" he replies plainly.

"I came to get water! Oh god... I meant before now... where have you been?"

"I don't feel like answering that. I'll take it you've slept soundly so far, I'm gonna get some sleep."

If only he knew...

He walks out like that, leaving me in the dark kitchen. I hurriedly grab two bottles of water and run after him, like a little puppy running after her owner. He's so fast I can't catch up to him, as soon as I enter the room I see him lying down on my side of the bed. I place a bottle on the nightstand next to him, then sit on the couch observing him.

Something's off...

His handsome, yet worn-out face constantly fascinates me. Why is my heart still beating fast? For someone like him?

After a good 30 minutes, I couldn't stop myself anymore. I walk slowly towards him to place my hand on his forehead. He looks sick.

Before my hand touches him, he grabs my wrist with an unexpected movement. I gasped in response. His grip becomes loosens after seeing it's me. His breathing becomes heavy.

I love the sound of his breathing...

"Where's your knife?" He speaks with a hoarse voice as he looks deep into my eyes.