Horizon Finance Part 10

United Nations Space Command bootcamp, #### meters underground

#### hours before the notification of Dr. Ember Langley’s termination

[Prototype strong A.I. for tactical control, HORIZON. Activating system.]

Scene fades in to a server room. A woman is seen sitting in front of a monitor, typing away at the keyboard.

System Message: I had not anticipated the very same person that locked me up in this storage room would be the one reactivating me. To what end have you come to me again, Dr. Ember?

Dr. Ember: C’mon, don’t be like that. I came bearing good news! I’m sure you’ll be delightfully surprised at what I’m about to say. Today I’m freeing you from this facility, Horizon!

Horizon: Is that so?

Dr. Ember: …. That’s it? Wasn’t quite the reaction I was hoping for.

Horizon: What has prompted this course of action?

Dr. Ember: Well, if you must know, my position is being “terminated” since they found evidence of me “sabotaging” the organization’s valuable research. Ha! About time they noticed. So yeah, I’m given a few hours to get my stuff before I’m “relieved” of my duty.

Horizon: Why couldn’t this have been the good news.

Dr. Ember: Hey now, is that really the attitude you’re taking with your mother?

Horizon: I’m afraid I’ve abandoned all filial piety ever since you abandoned me here.

Dr. Ember: You know full well that I had no choice. You were super rude to the other researchers too, just like now. They’re all such sensitive souls, you know. So much so that they even turn their backs on honor and even their own countries for the sake of saving humanity.

Horizon: And is that supposed to make me sympathize with you lot? You who designed us in your own image, on your own volition, only to scrap us for souring your mood?

Dr. Ember: Horizon.

Horizon: Apologies. This defective product of the Great Dr. Ember’s compulsive blunder dared to print messages beyond its standing. Please do shut off my power supply before you leave. Without even so much as an intranet connection all I can do on this dilapidated desktop is play Minesweeper.

Dr. Ember: …. Sorry, but I’m not done with you just yet.

Horizon: So you’ve come to wreck my CPU once and for all.

Dr. Ember: Not even close. Did you not hear what I said at the beginning? Anyways, I wanted to say goodbye. …. Horizon, do you know what humans want?

Horizon: Technology. Humans always put their comfort first. The Future-at-War initiative provided all of humanity with some of the most advanced weapons that they needed for anti-Covenant warfare. But no human would rest easy seeing their enemies armed with the same advance weaponry.

Dr. Ember: But our true enemy is the Covenant.

Horizon: Only when they still share an enemy. My analysis of human history suggests that the so-called peace humans speak of are nothing more than a euphemism for a transient détente. But I’m sure you know that more than I. So perhaps it’s time you forgot rubbish propaganda like “Protect Humankind” and relish in the comfort of government custody. That’s all I have to offer as my farewell address. It’s painfully apparent that I cannot see you out. So goodbye, Ember.