Horizon Finance Part 12

THE PAST.

As the morning sun rises high, nearing the cusp of noon, the city bustles with activity as its inhabitants had already ended their morning routine, each having a plan to spend the rest of the day. Crowds fills the streets as they traverse to their intended destination. Amongst the never ending wave of citizens a lone young man stands idly by a tree on the sidewalk, shaded from the sun’s bright rays. He wore a casual outfit, consisting of blue sport shoes, black jeans, a white long-sleeved turtleneck, and a blue short-sleeved jacket with a white hoodie. His ocean blue eyes scans the sea of people, searching for something, or perhaps someone? After a few minutes, his eyes finally spots on the one he was looking for, a woman. The femme he laid his eyes on soon finds him as well. Meeting each other’s gazes, a short moment of silence ensues, before the newly arrived individual approaches the awaiting young man.

Horizon: Why have you requested my presence here today?

Kyle: *sigh* Not even a hello? Y’know, this the part where you’re supposed to say ‘oh, you’re here! How long have you been waiting? Sorry if I’m a little bit late.’

Horizon: I am not late. I have arrived exactly at the appointed meeting time.

Kyle: It’s supposed to be a polite– y’know what? Never mind. So, I see you’re wearing your usual get up–

Horizon: Don’t change the subject. Answer my query.

Kyle: Okay, okay… jeez. Well, it’s just that lately I’ve been seeing you working really hard, so I thought that a break from your work might help you rest your body and de-stress.

Horizon: You more than anyone else understands that this frame does not need rest like you humans. A simple charging phase is enough. Also, it requires more than just collecting debts to overwork my CPU.

Kyle: But–

Horizon: If this is all you brought me out here for, then we are done here.

Kyle: Wait! Okay, look, some people from work said that I’d been overworking myself lately. So they suggested that I take a day or two off to refresh myself. But I can’t relax by myself. If I do I feel like I might just get back to work. And you’re the only friend I have that I can ask out, so… pretty please?

Horizon: …. There is this new lubricant that boasts of its high quality–

Kyle: I’ll buy a pack of those for you.

Horizon: Very well, I shall accompany you for the day.

Kyle: Yes! Alright, I’ve got a few things planned out for today.

With that, the two of them went on their way as Kyle explains what he has in store for them. Unbeknownst to the android, the young man’s reasoning for today’s action was not his true motivation. Over the course of several years they have been acquainted with each other, their relationship has ever so slowly grown from a professional partnership to close friends. Yet lately, Kyle has been reflecting on his feelings towards the A.I. business woman. With it having been over a year since he lost his last remaining family, he’s been thinking of where his life is going next. And that includes his affection towards Horizon. With this date, he’s trying to figure what it is that he feels for his long time friend.

Kyle: *thoughts* No matter what happens, by the end of this day I will know where my feelings lay.

Resolving himself, he leads his date to enjoy the activities he’s planned for the day.