Horizon Finance Part 2

Scene opens to Horizon standing on the sidewalk. She’s staring down at a person laying down on the asphalt. It’s a young man with short black hair and blue eyes. He couldn’t have been older than his teens. Although, what’s strange is that he’s wearing dirty and ragged clothes. He had his eyes closed.

Horizon: … Biometrics identified. What are you doing recuperating on the sidewalk, human?

???: (opens his eyes) … I’m not sleeping. Just, resting for a bit.

Horizon: … you appear to be in a state of disrepair. Aren’t human children’s fragile frames required to be cared for by their progenitor?

???: … Wha–?

Horizon: Where are your parents?

???: (sits up and stares at the ground) Gone. I don’t have anyone else besides my little sister.

Horizon: Recently orphaned children are usually admitted to government funded facilities well equipped to care for said children.

???: (angered) That place sucks! They haven’t even noticed I’m gone yet!

Horizon: So… what will you do?

???: Huh?

Horizon: What are you going to do about your current predicament, human?

The young man seemed to be in thought for a few moments, before he looks up with a look of determination on his face.

???: I’m going to provide for me and my sister myself! I won’t rely on those ignorant hoots from the orphanage!

Horizon: And how exactly do you intend to accomplish that objective?

???: (nervous) Oh, well, I mean… u-uh…

While the boy was nervous in thought Horizon watched him curiously. After a few moments she decided on a course of action.

Horizon: If you require a head start on achieving your goal, I am willing to lend you the money you require to get started.

???: (surprised) Wait, really?

Horizon: Our annual interest rate is only 2.5%. Here at Horizon Finance, the customer comes first.

???: Hold up. Don’t you sound like one of those loan sharks? But, 2.5%...

Horizon: We are willing to accept your loan application. What do you say, human?

???: You’re pretty weird… but… (clenches his fists) I’ll take it!

Horizon: Very well. (hands him a business card) Please visit our nearest office so that we may proceed with this transaction. (starts to walk away)

???: Wait! (Horizon pauses) I… thank you. Really. (Horizon continues to leave) Oh, by the way, I’m Kyle! Kyle Rayner!

???: Oh, by the way, I’m Kyle! Kyle Rayner!

A critical error occurred during video record playback.

Reasoning system overloaded. Running diagnostics…..

Scene fades to black

System operation timed out due to overheating. Reinitializing reasoning system.

Reinitializing aborted.

Cause - UNKNOWN.

Beginning speed replay of the selected video record.

Current playback file number is ###,###,###.

Warning. Physical contact detected. Pausing playback.

Scene fades in. An armored person is seen, holding Horizon’s hand.

 An armored person is seen, holding Horizon’s hand

???: [Robotic voice] Horizon.

Horizon: (focuses on him) Hmm? What is it, Kyle.

Kyle: We’re here. And what I’d told ya about that? Call me Mirage when I’m like this.

Camera pans out to see they’re in a station of sorts.

Mirage: So, where exactly was he last seen?

Horizon: Witness accounts indicate that he was last observed to be at the commercial district of this city.

They both walk out of the station and head towards the commercial district.

Mirage: Hmmm, (looks around) perhaps he was meeting someone. Considering he’s just an aspiring researcher, he probably doesn’t have the skill to just disappear without a trace. The fact that he just disappeared here most likely means he had help. Though how he obtained said help is beyond me.

Horizon: If he had the funds necessary to go off the grid, it would’ve been more effective to just pay his debt back.

Mirage: Maybe he made a false promise to pay them? But that most likely won’t get him far. Let’s go and ask some people.