[47] The Phoenix Demon

Chapter 47: The Phoenix Demon

So it's not a real phoenix.

This high from the surface, there were clouds all around us. Because we were high above the landscape below, the volcanic mountain peak was shrouded in a thick layer of snow. Black rocks and dark, hardened lava had solidified into a stark and foreboding presence over the summit.

Jagged peaks rose into the air, while smoke and ash rose in plumes from the crater below. The cold, windy atmosphere with hot flowing lava was a stark contrast to the snow that covered the mountain, yet both elements were united in their harsh and uncompromising beauty.

Mem-Cho, Mai, Akane, and I were hiding behind a large boulder. We were peeking at the scene ahead, where four devils carried an intricate luxurious coffin that probably cost more than a city's net worth.

"What is he doing- whoa." Akane gasped in a low voice when she watched the blonde-haired middle-aged man jump into the volcano.

"He will be fine," I reassured her. Being a normal human, her hearing wasn't good enough to eavesdrop, but I did hear what they were saying.

I thought there was a phoenix in that coffin. Now that I'm closer, I noticed that it's not a real phoenix, but a devil with phoenix blood. The devil inside the coffin has enough phoenix blood to be considered a proper phoenix, so maybe it's wrong of me to say she's not a real phoenix.

Hmmm... What do I do now?

"What should we do, Aqua?" Mem-Cho asked the exact thing I was thinking.

"I'm wondering," I chewed on my lips.

I distinctly heard them say [Fire Stone], it's a very rare item. It can help cultivate fire energy, help make a Magic Wand that can use fire magic multiple circles above the user's limit, and so many more. It's usually found in places with immense fire energy. If my Path used Fire Qi, that would have been a great benefit to me. But neither me, nor Ruby, nor anyone in my Sect rely heavily on fire energy. So should I really pick a fight with them for a stone that's not useful to me?

Well, obviously.

I grinned. A Fire Stone would be of great use for many things, like making a hyper-powerful artifact. Letting an ultra-rare item like this be robbed away right in front of me wasn't acceptable.

It's a little problematic, though. There are three devils, with one inside the volcano. They aren't weak, either. If I compare them to, let's say Jaguar Warrior, these four are equal to two Jaguar Warriors. Given I only defeated that bastard by going above and beyond my current limits and therefore damaging my cultivation, this would be hard.

More so, they seem to be from the Phenex Clan. They have regeneration. Currently, I don't have any power that can help me stop regeneration. As far as I know, their healing doesn't have a weakness, destroying their heads won't stop them. So even if I manage to defeat them by suffering injuries, they can just regenerate and attack it.

Hah. Fuck.

"Aqua?" Mai asked, seeing my expression.

The rank, [Underlord]. I need a few proper minutes to advance. If I reach that level, these no-names shouldn't be an issue.

"Let's leave this area," I said. I could only hope they wouldn't find the stone in the few minutes it'd take me to advance.

The girls exchanged glances and nodded. We turned around and began to walk away slowly, careful to not make any sounds, just when Akane stepped on a round slippery rock and fell.