[159] Not A Bad Life, At All

Chapter 159: Not A Bad Life, At All

The early evening sun cast a warm glow over the Hoshino residence, filling the air with a soft, comforting light. The living room, still humming with the energy of the lively visit of different people, was a cozy place for me, Mai, and Akane as we sat on the plush sofa.

We changed the topic from the concert and I checked in with Akane. "How's the juggle between school and acting going? Enough time to enjoy yourself?" Although she was learning magic from me, she was still doing her job. Instead of judging her for it, I admired her hustle, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze.

Akane smiled, a hint of fatigue shadowing her usual brightness. "Well, my schedule is busy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I'm used to it since this suits me. How about you guys?" she looked at Mai, "How are you managing with all the... extras?" Her eyes twinkled with a mix of curiosity and concern.

She knew that she was getting less exposure to supernatural things than the others around me, and it seemed she didn't mind that. Mai, as she just said, had extra magic stuff to worry about besides acting and school.

Mai stretched out her legs, looking more relaxed than I'd seen her in weeks. "There is this project at the studio, it's been eating up all my free time. Last night was a good escape from all of it, thanks for pulling it all together, Aqua."

"My house is your house, I'm glad you enjoyed staying here," I said, hugging both of them by their shoulders. I noticed a slight unease in both of them, experiencing being shared in real-time, but they better get used to it if they wanted to be with me.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, stretching shadows across the room, I felt the moment to wind down had arrived. "I think it's time to head home and get some rest," Mai said, rippling with my thoughts.

Akane agreed readily with a nod. She hugged me tightly, a proper hug, her gratitude genuine. "Thanks for today, Aqua. I really needed it," she said before slipping off my arms and running out the door with a casual wave.

"Wait," I called and she stopped, as I walked over to her. I looked back at Mai and said, "Senpai, I'll be right back after dropping her." Turning back to Akane, who was about to reject my proposal, I said, "No, I am not going to drop you with a car, rest assured. You'll enjoy it."

All my girls loved flying in my arms. In the end, Akane was no exception.

****

Returning home to Mai, I caught a flicker of reluctance in her expression. "Ready to head home?" I asked gently. I loved the idea that she was reluctant to leave, that she wished to stay here for longer. She had truly fallen well into my arms.

She nodded, her voice carrying a tone of resignation. "Yeah, let's go," Mai gathered her things, her movements slow. I caught her in my arms and led her through the door. Then, I took off into the air.

The flight was quiet, but I could tell that she loved it. Her body relaxed, and she even fell asleep for a short minute at the top of the sky. It was cute. By the time we reached her neighborhood, she was awake.

Mai's house was quiet, the streets bathed in the soft glow of streetlights. Pulling up to her home, I paused for a moment, and I felt Mai freeze in my arms too. There was someone at the door of her house, standing with her arms crossed.

"M-mom?" Mai asked and I blinked in recognition. Their auras were indeed similar. At the doorstep of her house, Mai's mother waited, her posture stiff, her face an unreadable mask that tightened the air with tension.

'She's pretty,' I landed on my feet as I noted that, allowing Mai to stand on her feet. Mai's mother was a beautiful woman with long dark gray hair and blue eyes.