𝟑

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

Maeve sat hunched over the desk in the betting den, working out the profit they'd made the day previously. Her head was pulsating and her body was aching.

She turned her head when Tommy opened the green doors that separated the house and the den. He walked through to John, swerving the people who rushed around.

"Oi, Maeve. Add ten shillings to this weeks list!" John shouted, writing on the chalk board. She sighed and did so. "Tommy, Tommy! Look at the book." He said eagerly, "just look. All on Monaghan boy."

"Good work, John."

"Tommy." Arthur's voice boomed as he stood outside the office, hands in pockets. "Get in here, now." He demanded.

Maeve raised her eyebrows and looked at John.

"Someone's in trouble," she said quietly, swearing when her pencil broke. "John get me a new pencil." John laughed at her and shook his head. "I said get me a fucking pencil, John."

John smirked and took one from the table and throwing it in her direction. "See, wasn't hard was it." She scoffed, continuing her work.

Tommy soon left Arthur's office. "I'm calling a family council tonight. At 8 o'clock, I want all of us there. You hear me? There's trouble coming!" Arthur shouted.

"Trouble?" Maeve asked. Arthur glanced at her but said nothing. "Dad, what do you mean trouble?"

"Nothing..just go see Theadosia or something. John i've told you to stop making Maeve do the count!" He snapped, slamming the door.

Maeve sniggered and put her middle finger up at John, grabbing her coat and swiftly leaving out the front door.

-

"Do you like it?" Thea asked, holding up a pale blue dress to her frame and spinning. Maeve looked up from the newspaper and nodded, "it's beautiful. You should make me one of them," Maeve grinned.

Thea rolled her eyes jokingly and hung the dress back in the wardrobe. "Did Max get you home last night?"

"I think so, can't really remember. Only remember my dad helping me up the stairs last night," Maeve laughed at herself and rolled onto her stomach, placing her chin into her hands whilst she looked at Thea.

"Cameron was hardly able to walk me home, he was absolutely shit faced." Thea shook her head, frowning. "Which reminds me, do you still fancy him?"

Maeve raised an eyebrow, "why, do you want to shag him or something?" Maeve teased. Thea's face dropped slightly at the accusation, "no, no of course not. I'd never do that to you. I'm just curious."

"Yeah okay, i'll believe it when I see it."

"That doesn't even make sense, Maeve." Thea tormented, sitting on the edge of the bed and crossing her legs. "Whatever," Maeve sighed, looking around the room. "It feels like you were away for ages, I can't remember the last time I was here."

"Well, i was away for a few months," Thea hummed, leaning back. Maeve nodded slightly and shot up in realisation, "shit..family meeting. I've got to go-"