𝟒𝟗

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟗

John knew that the way he was driving was completely unsafe but he didn't care. Yes this had all happened before but this time it was different. His clothes were covered in her blood and it made him feel sick.

If he didn't hurry up, she could die with nobody at her side. And he refused to let that happen.

He just hoped that Esme had called Arthur and Tommy.

"Fucking let me through!" He demanded, pushing through the busy hallway. The first thing he spotted what Micheal being wheeled down the corridor with Polly and Tommy at his side.

"Tom! Tommy!" John called out, running to him. Tommy had to do a double take before realising it was John. "Where's Maeve?" He asked.

Tommy's face dropped. "What do you mean? What's happened to Maeve?" He asked. John dragged his hand across his face. "Esme didn't tell you? Tommy she's worse than Micheal— she was in front of me when it all happened."

He grabbed John's arms and pulled him to the side. "Right take a breath, John." He said, "i'll go and find Maeve. You call Arthur and make sure he knows." Tommy instructed.

"You'll make sure she's alright?" John asked quickly.

Tommy took a deep breath of annoyance and looked him dead in the eye. "When have I ever let her down?" He whispered, the tone in his voice was cold. John clenched his jaw and stumbled backward, wanting to come away from his older brother.

Tommy on the other hand, wasted no time before he was in the other hallway where it seemed to be incredibly loud. He followed the crowd of doctors into a room.

"Mr Shelby, you cannot be in here." A doctor said. Tommy raised his eyebrows. "The last time i checked, it's me who controls this city. So you let me in there," he pointed, "by order of the Peaky Blinders."

If Polly had been there to hear him use the same exact threat as Arthur did last time this had happened— in a hospital, she'd have gone mad. She always saw the threat as a vile way of getting what they wanted. Just like children.

The doctor lowered his head shamefully and stepped aside. Tommy entered the room and stood watching as they fumbled with tools. Anger grew within him as he noticed Maeve was in nothing but her blood soaked under clothes. He felt it was a violation toward her own privacy.

But he knew they were just doing their jobs.

Whilst once doctor began carefully examining the wound on her shoulder, another looked at the more harsh one in her side.

The nurse looked up at Tommy and back down again. "I remember her," the woman said, "she's the Shelby girl. It's the same shoulder she got shot in last time. If that bullet had travelled even just one millimetre to the side, she'd be dead— I don't know how she isn't dead yet." She whispered.

A man waved her away and shook his head in disappointment. "Mr Shelby we are going to have to ask you to leave." Another said politely.

He took in a deep breath and refused to notice the lump that sat in his throat and the strange stinging sensation that was attacking his eyes. This time, Tommy didn't argue. He allowed the doctor to usher him out the room.