𝟏𝟓

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓

Maeve walked down the stairs, locking
eyes with Arthur. He looked over his newspaper and sniffed.

"Morning," he mumbled, placing down the newspaper. Maeve stood still, suddenly frozen. "Yeah, morning." She said before finally moving.

"What's up with you this morning?" He chuckled. Maeve shook her head, "me? No there's nothing up with me. Dunno what you're on about," she defended quickly.

"Girls and they're fucking.." Arthur trailed off. "Listen," he stood, "me an the lads are off out somewhere for a bit. You can stay 'ere with Polly until we say otherwise."

John looked up from the betting shop and glared at Arthur. The doors were open, giving him access to what was being said. "No er, Artha. I said she could come today, she needs to get out the house." John stood and placed him hands in his pockets.

"You what?" Arthur scoffed.

"I said she could come today. She's almost fifteen, she needs to see how things work around here." He continued.

"She's grounded, John." Arthur reminded him. "Yeah..yeah I know. But Arthur, you can't keep treating her like a child. Locking her up like an animal when she steps out of line."

"Which might i add is never my fault," Maeve whispered, sitting down and sneaking Arthur's pack of cigarettes into her pocket.

Arthur looked between his daughter and brother and thought for a moment. "Whatever fucking..shit you two are doing, i don't like it."

"What, me getting on with my uncle? Yeah that's shit, dad." She mocked. John grinned and shook his head. "You know what, let her come, whatever. Don't give a shit anymore." He dismissed.

-

A large group of Peaky Blinders walked with each other up the small slope that led to the Lee camp. Maeve stayed close behind Arthur and John.

"Ready boys? John, ready?" Tommy questions. "Yeah, fine." John nodded, his dark green peaky cap tilted to the left. "Av a drink," Arthur shoved the flask into his hands. Maeve frowned at the strange behaviour. The other peaky men stared at him. "What? What you all staring at me for? What?" He grew angry.

"Let's go," Tommy interrupted, leading them all back up toward the camp. "What?" John hissed at one of the Peaky boys who remained looking at him.

"Tommy, what you playing at? We're in shot gun range," John whispered. They all came to a halt once more. "John, before you go into battle, there's something you're gonna need."

"No, Tom. Not the time, they can kill us at any moment," Maeve said quickly.

Each of them pulled out a small white flower and Tommy placed it into Johns front pocket.

"What you bloody doing, Tommy?"

"What the fuck is this? A party?" Maeve hissed, throwing her arms up in the air.

Tommy grabbed John's face. "Smile, John, it's a wedding." John frowned, "who's bloody wedding?" He and Maeve asked in unison.

"Now if I'd told you, you wouldn't of come. There's a girl in the Lee family who's gone a bit wild, she needs marrying-" John scoffed, aggressively pushing Tommy away. Arthur grabbed him. "Fuck off," he fought against his brothers.