𝟔

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

Maeve snuck her head around the corner before dragging Thea by her hand and pounding on the Montgomery door.

"Maeve!" Thea hissed, "Maeve what're we doing, why on earth do you have a picture of the king-" she blurted our. Maeve held a finger to her lips and hit the door harder. "Stop asking questions Theadosia."

Thea dropped her shoulders and crossed her arms. "Max! Cameron, you bastards come open the door!" She shouted loudly, her voice echoing off the walls.

"Am fucking coming!" Cameron shouted, his footsteps heavy as he approached the door. "What do youse want- and why are ya's knocking on our door like that?" he asked.

Maeve shoved past him and entered the house, throwing herself onto the couch. Cameron stood with his eyebrows raised, waiting for a response. "You an Max are coming with us to a bonfire," Maeve said, picking at her nails.

Cameron looked at Thea in hopes she'd had more information but she just shrugged. "Right, well- Max! Come down 'ere!"

It took seconds for the older Montgomery brother to appear in the doorway. "I heard bonfire- what're we burning this time?" He asked. Maeve grinned and raised an eyebrow, holding up the picture of the king she had in her hands. "His majesty himself."

Max and Cameron looked at each other. Maeve dug deep into her pockets and pulled out a few shillings, "John said i'm to pay you for ya picture."

"This is ridiculous- I mean, where on gods green earth would this be a good idea, Maeve?" Cameron asked. She scoffed, "you've turned boring, Montgomery. Is this because of that girl you're seeing?" She asked as if it wasn't a stab in her own chest. Cameron's face dropped, "shut up Maeve."

"You two fight like a married couple," Max tormented, carefully lifting their picture of the king off the wall. Disgust was painted all over Cameron's face and he shook his head quickly. "I'd never marry Maeve, not even if she was the last woman on earth."

Maeve felt deeply insulted by his tone and the fact he was definitely being serious. And the fact she'd fancied him for ages, hurt more.

"All right, Cameron..that was a bit harsh." Thea lowered her head, taking Maeve's hand again and walking to the door. "Ignore him, Maeve," she whispered, rubbing her friends back in a reassuring way.

Maeve shrugged Thea's hand off and crossed her arms, feeling uncomfortable in her own skin after the boys comment. She blinked a few times and looked away when both brothers joined them. "Let's go then." Max said, trying to clear the awkwardness that lingered in the air.

"I'm going to kill him one day..with my very own razor blade," Maeve muttered, walking beside Max. He sighed and said nothing. "And i'll make sure it doesn't look like an accident- in fact, i'll take myself to the police after fucking doing it!" Maeve fumed.

Max shared a glance with Thea who was walking behind them with Cameron and she winced. "Has something happened today, Cam?" Thea turned to him.

Cameron kept his hands in his pockets and shrugged, "Maeve's just doin my head-in all the time. She's so..stuck up."

"Oh Cameron," Theadosia scolded, "give her a rest. You know she has it hardest out of all of us. And she's not stuck up she's just confident. Oh and she speaks a truth that you don't like."