𝟒

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

Maeve sat at the end of Max's bed, turning her head at the sudden commotion outside. She pulled back the curtain and watched as a black car drove down the road, people throwing glass bottles and stones at the car.

"Go away!" They shouted. She caught a quick glance of what looked like an older man with grey hair. Trouble was coming, she could feel it.

She could hear it. Maeve felt it coming, a vision..something. A sign. But she refused to let it play out and forced her eyes closed.

Something Maeve began getting during the war was some sort of visions or a voice talking to her, as if it was warning her about the future. It was Gypsy stuff of course, but she didn't know that.

"What ya looking at?" Max asked, looking up from his school book. She turned her head and shook it, "nothing of your concern," she lay forward on her stomach and placed her head in her hands.

Max hummed and looked out of his open bedroom door and out into the hallway at Cameron who had appeared, a brown haired girl at his side.

"You going to introduce us Cameron?" Max asked, looking back at his book, showing he took no interest whatsoever. Maeve felt a sharp pain in her chest and her heart dropped at the sight. She stared down at the grey bedsheets, unsure what to do.

Cameron scoffed, "no you're alright," He said, placing a hand on the girls back and leading her to his bedroom. Max sighed and kicked the door closed with his foot. "Swear I saw her hanging round the brothel, probably a whore," he spoke quietly, waiting for a small smile to reappear on her face.

But it didn't, instead it was replaced with a frown as she kept thinking about the fact the boy she's fancied for almost years had brought a girl home. And the girl wasn't her.

"Ay, Shelby. You gonna look at me or what?" Max frowned, placing his book face down onto the bed. She took a deep breath and looked at him. "Why so moody? You've got a face like a smacked arse."

"Thanks Max, that's nice. Really nice." She rolled over onto her back and stared at the ceiling. "There's a new copper in town. Heard he's came from Belfast, trying to clean up the city or something." Maeve finally told him.

Max moved further down the bed and lay next to her, also staring up at the cracks in the ceiling. "Who're they after? Is it you lot?"

"No, don't think so. Heard they're trying to stop the communists or something." She said, counting the cracks. Max hummed looking at her from the side for a few seconds, admiring the way she looked.

"Stop staring, Max. It's weird," she tormented, keeping her eyes on the ceiling. Max cleared his throat and looked away, "sorry," he apologised.

A laugh fell from Maeve's lips and she shook her head, "i'm kidding," Maeve said, sitting up and using her elbow to support her body. Max turned his head again and smiled slightly, "oh..right."

"You're such an awkward lad, Max." Maeve teased, pulling his hair gently. He shot up, gasping and shoving her hand away. He reached for her red hair and tugged on it.

Maeve slapped his hand away, "dickhead." She insulted. Max grinned proudly and went to do it again but she grabbed his hand, pushing it away. "No chance, Montgomery."