𝟑𝟗

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗

Maeve walked slowly with John and Arthur underneath a bridge, looking over her shoulder every now and again.

John pulled a gun from his pocket and handed it to her. She carefully checked the bullets and tucked it into her own pocket before catching sight of two older people.

A man and a woman.

"Maeve if ya wanting to turn around, i'd go now. Because once they see us, there's no turning back." Arthur warned, pulling his hat over his head. Maeve shook her head and continued walking, a smile creeping upon her face at the terror that filled the couples face.

"Thank you officer, that'll be all." John said. The woman looked at them, "John Shelby..is that the lad I used to teach? John Shelby i used to smack your arse!"

"Let him go." Arthur warned, looking as she clung onto Mr Changretta.

"Please, please let her go." Vincent begged, holding onto his wife as if she'd disappear. "Arthur, how many times i looked the other way because of your sweet smile!" She scowled.

"I said let him go, he's coming with us."

"Not until i know my wife is safe!" Vincent shook his head. Maeve pulled her gun and pointed it, "listen, alright? We're here on strict orders-"

"She's safe, we're not gonna harm her." John interrupted. "Just get a move on." He added. "Look, we're disobeying Tommy's orders just by talking to you. Don't push it, please. Come with us- let him go." Arthur interrupted.

"Let him go too, say it's done! Say he's in the harbour. He can do you how harm from New York."

"We can't do that." Maeve refused.

Maeve looked at John as Vincent began trying to plead with his wife to let him go. "How long does it fucking take?" She hissed. "If you don't fucking let him go now, ill shoot youse both." Maeve threatened.

"Sorry..we're disobeying orders." John finally said, his voice shaking as he pulled his own gun. "Let him fucking go!" He shouted.

"You have ten seconds or Tommy's orders stand! They stand!" Arthur began counting and watched as the pair let go of each other and Vincent walked off.

Mrs Changretta charged at John and he grabbed her, holding her. "America," he whispered, "a new life...a new life."

-

"Do you know what time it is, old man?" Tommy asked him, sitting in the chair opposite. "I'll tell you. It's after seven in the evening, and I'm going to keep you alive until it gets light. I'll not deliver the final cut until we can both hear the blackbirds singing outside." he grabbed him, pulling him closer.

Maeve leaned against the wall, playing with her empty gun in boredom.

"It's a beautiful sound, which my wife will never hear again." Tommy whispered. "Now, I'm gonna have to choose carefully which part of you I cut away first. Open your eyes. Open your eyes, or I will cut away your fսck¡ng eyelids!" he threatened.

Maeve huffed and looked at John.

"Now look at me. Look at me. This is the end. This is the end. It was your tongue that gave the order. I'll take your tongue first." He grabbed the man's face. "Then I'll take your ears. Then I'll take your fingers. Then your fսcking toes. See, I take your balls first, you drain too fast like you fuckers do."