𝟓𝟔

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟔

Maeve's eyes stung whilst she sat in the lukewarm bath. She pulled the water over her skin and watched as it beaded off slowly.

The house felt empty. It felt cold.

Finn was downstairs with Isiah doing god knows what. Maeve was simply sat in the bath staring at the wall with a blank expression. It had been a long time since she felt like this.

Her heart pounded but she finally decided to get out, gripping the sides of the metal tub and pulling herself up. She glanced at the minor scratches and cuts on her hands from all the scratching she'd done to get Arthur's blood off of her skin.

Maeve stared at the black dress that hung up by the door. It was as if it was  taunting her — which was impossible because it was an item of clothing.

She shakily dried herself off and slipped the dress over her body.

-

Everybody stood out on Watery Lane, the sound of horses walking echoed down the street. John held his arm around Maeve's shoulders whilst they watched the wagon pass them.

Some people stepped out to place flowers down but Maeve was staring at Linda. The wife of her father who seemed far too relaxed to be attending the funeral of her husband.

She shook it off and looked down at the floor. John squeezed her shoulder in a reassuring way and she sniffed.

"He wasn't supposed to die, John." Maeve shook her head, a guilty look on her face. "It was supposed to be me— or Tommy. Not him."

"I've told you already, do not blame yourself for this. It was all out of your control. It was out of Tommy's control too." John said to her. Maeve looked out at the horses and it all appeared in her head again.

-

Maeve sat with her feet on the table. Tommy leaned over the table and Polly stood to greet Micheal who had just walked through the house.

"Maeve, i've been trying to think of words." He began. "Don't." Polly quickly stopped him. "Words don't work. Michael, we're in a grave situation. Tommy has a plan."

Maeve scoffed obnoxiously and Tommy just looked at her, knowing the situation was far too fragile to be arguing with her.

"Instead of going to Australia, you're going to New York." Polly told her son. Micheal's face dropped. "Why?"

"Because the company has business to attend to in America." Ada informed him. He took a breath. "Will i be coming back?" Micheal questioned.

"Train leaves in an hour, Micheal." Tommy said bluntly. "You made a choice. You knew it was going to be shot. And you chose not to tell me." Tommy said.

Maeve looked up at Micheal with a somewhat sly look in her eyes. She remembered that day in the hospitals

"I chose my mum."

"When all this business is over, we'll all be free to make our own choices." Polly said. "So is that it?" Micheal asked.

"You get the train to Liverpool on the SS to Monroe. The boat sails tomorrow." Tommy lifted an envelope up for Micheal. "Now you can go."