𝟏𝟔

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

"Where are we going, Tom?" Maeve squinted, still trying to shake the tiredness that consumed her. Tommy ignored her and continued walking past the graves on the field.

They stopped at one with the name Daniel Owen. Or better known as Danny Whizz Bang. Maeve frowned and looked up at him.

"Danny's grave? Why are we here?" She asked. Tommy took out a cigarette and lit it. "You see, Maeve. You said you wanted to become apart of things."

"No i never. John said I need to understand what goes on around here, you're twisting his words." Maeve corrected.

"I hate when you speak like that, you actually sound smart for once." He muttered, staring down at the grave. "It isn't Danny's body in there, Maeve. There's no body in there at all."

"So why the fuck have you done all this?" She waved her arms around, "did you just wake up one day and think it'd be fun to decorate a graveyard with the grave of someone who isn't dead?"

"No, Maeve." He hissed, "i woke up one day and realised i'd fucked up. I'm sure you know about the robbery- your dad can't keep his mouth shut."

"Careful." She warned, crossing her arms. He cleared his throat. "Anyway..we needed to store the things somewhere. And what better place than a grave, eh? The police are too thick in the head to even began searching here." He grinned to himself.

"But i don't understand why I have to see this grave. You could've just told me."

"Because, John also said we need to stop treating you like a child. So here you are, Maeve. Welcome to the real world," Tommy sighed.

"All right, bit dramatic." Maeve rolled her eyes, spinning on her heels. "I'm going back to the car, can't believe you dragged me out of bed at seven in the morning for this." She paused, "but uncle Tom, what's in there?"

Tommy thought for a moment. His niece would never tell, right?

"Guns, Maeve. A lot of them. Guns from a BSA factory." He said, staring at the grass. Maeve raised her eyebrows and walked backward, not wanting to ask anymore questions.

Although Arthur had told her about the stolen guns, he was drunk half the time so she never really believed him. But she certainly believed him now.

-

Tommy walked into the back room of the Garrison where Grace sat calculating bills, forcing Maeve to sit at the bar alone in the empty pub.

Where of course she would not
stay.

"There's tea," Grace spoke. He went over to the desk and leaned over her shoulder. "A new system, everything in the diary eh?" He asked, staring down at the diary she wrote in. Grace hummed.

Maeve eventually snuck over to the slightly open door and listened in.

Tommy pulled out a black pen and scribbled a black star onto the page. She frowned, "A black star? What does that mean?"

"Black star day is the day we take out Billy Kimber and his men. No one knows this," he said, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Not even your family?" She asked. He scoffed and turned to the door, "Grace, everyone in my family hates me. Why would I tell them."