𝟐𝟏

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏

As Polly entered the house, everyone
began clapping. She frowned and stopped in her tracks.

"When did you get back?" She asked, looking straight at Thomas. "Didn't want to miss your birthday, Pol." Tommy wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

"Back to work everyone," Arthur ordered.

"How do you know it's my birthday? Nobody ever knows." Polly said. "Ah, it's different this year. John, Finn bring the car around." Tommy nodded at his brothers. Polly was majorly confused.

"Where are we going?"

"To unwrap your birthday present, after you," he smiled, leaving the door open so she could leave.

Maeve sat in the chair, completely fuming as she watched the family leaving the house, not taking any notice of her. "Yeah bye," she said sarcastically, throwing the pencil down so hard that it bounced back up and fell off the table.

Scudboat gave Maeve a sympathetic look, "sorry kid." He apologised.

"No it's fine, didn't want to go anyway."  Maeve huffed, standing and taking her peaky cap. "I'm going out, cover for me?"

The man nodded and waved her away. "Fucking bastards," she said to herself as she walked down to the Montgomery house. For once, Isiah wasn't around to follow her.

It took ages for somebody to answer the door. "Max!" She shouted, "Max open the door!"

The heads slightly muffled talking from behind the door, just before it swung open. "The fuck are you doing here? It's eleven in the morning." Max said, shielding his eyes from the sun.

Maeve pushed past him, "they've all gone out without me, something for Polly's birthday." Maeve told him, walking up the stairs. Max hummed and followed her.

"So that meant you come here?"

"Max what is up with you? You never usually complain," Maeve asked, genuinley worried and insulted. Max shook his head and sat on the bed in front of her, placing his hands on her knees. "Nothing, it's fine I promise." He said, leaning forward and kissing her.

Maeve took a moment before kissing him back. Max sat up and held her face, leaning over her slightly. The kiss wasn't aggressive, but it wasn't gentle either. It was different. Maeve kept her hand on the back of his neck, getting him as close as she could get him.

Max's fingers were tangled within her finger hair. It had been a while since the two had even had contact like this.

"Do you fancy Isiah?" He said in between kisses, almost making Maeve choke on her own tongue. "No, i hardly know him." Maeve tried to speak.

Max said no more whilst they continue kisses, his fingers slipped in between the side of her waistband, his cold skin against her warm skin sent shivers up her spine. She quickly grabbed his hand, stopping him from going further, but didn't break the kiss.

Max used his other hand that was placed on her back and slowly trailed it up her back, reaching the back of her bra. Maeve pulled away, "Max stop." She shook her head, "whatever it is you want to do, i'm not sure i want to do it." She told him, a hand on his chest.