𝟐𝟗

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗

Maeve was up, up and ready. She was downstairs in the betting den, taking bets. Everybody was confused, some shocked.

Polly stood beside John at the end of the room beside the chalk board. "Are we seeing this right?" She asked, "Maeve is out of bed..working?"

John nodded, "i think we're seeing it right." He said, taking out a cigarette and lighting it, "clearly somethings clicked and she's not fucking depressed anymore."

Polly smacked him round the back of the head. "John," She scolded, giving him a stern look, "shut your bloody mouth before I make you."

"God now you sound like her," he sniggered, walking past Maeve and squeezing her shoulder. She ignored him and counted the coins in her hand.

"Next," she called out. What she didn't expect was to be met with the face of Blake from school. "What a lovely surprise, what can i do for you?" She gave him a sarcastic smile, holding a pencil.

"Want to place a bet on Monaghan Boy," he said, looking around. Maeve held her hand out, "ten shillings," she said, writing something down on the paper.

Blake dug into his pockets and pulled out the money, dropping it into her hands. "I heard what you did," he leaned forward, "what you did to the Montgomery boy," he hissed. "And i think you're a monster, a monster that's rotting in hell."

Maeve grinned, looking at Tommy through the office who was watching carefully. "If you don't watch what you're saying, Blake-" she grabbed his hand, "i'll break each and every one of these fingers again. And then i'll kill you too," she threatened.

Maeve twisted the boys fingers, a grin present on her face. He winced and took a deep breath. "So from now on, you won't mutter a single word about me or my family, will you?" She asked, raising her eyebrows. Blake bit his lip as she continued twisting his fingers.

"No, no not a word-"

"Oi," Tommy appeared at the end of the table. Maeve flashed Tommy a smile and let go of Blake's hand. "Ten shillings on Monaghan boy," she said, "thanks Blake."

Blake looked at Tommy. "On you go," Tommy instructed, watching the boy scurry out of the house. He turned to Maeve, "what's gotten you out of bed?"

Maeve shrugged. "When I was out last night I realised something." She told him, standing and pushing her hair behind her ears. Tommy nodded for her to continue. "I realised that everything i've done, everyone i've hurt- is just the same as what you, John and dad do. And that in a few years it'll be considered normal for me to be doing it anyway."

Tommy raised an eyebrow. "So what's the point of dwelling on it now? Max deserved it- well maybe not to die but to get seriously injured. People get what they deserve, Thomas. You said it yourself."

People get what they deserve, Thomas.

It sent shivers up his spine. "Well said, Maeve. Keep working, it'll do you good." He said before walking off and giving Polly a strange look.

Maeve knew that her words had sent him over the edge slightly. And she loved it. She felt somewhat normal again. She didn't care anymore.