𝟏𝟑

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑

The door swung open and Maeve jumped. "Fucking hell, Tom." She sighed, placing a hand on her chest and pulling back the curtain. She frowned at the van that had been parked outside since early that morning.

She quickly returned to her table and began putting away money. "I was here on time," a man said to her in a rush. Maeve looked up and shook her head, "it's finished, sorry."

"I've had a tip off- i need this bet!" He argued. "The race has started." Maeve refused. "Please!" He shouted.

Maeve raised her eyebrows, "no."

The man scoffed, "fine." He tipped over her box of money and Tommy looked over at her, "get rid of him." He ordered. Seconds later, Scudboat and Lovelock had pushed the man out of the doors.

"Tom, what're you doing here so early?" She asked her uncle, cleaning up the mess on the table. "Pol wanted me 'ere." He replied bluntly, taking a cigarette and lighting it.

Polly soon entered and began reading the books. "It's a good day," she observed. "Where's John?" Tommy asked.

"Johns in the Garrison, says he wants a meeting about a family matter. After he's said his peace, he'll come back and take his place with Scudboat- Scudboat! John will be here in ten minutes," Polly told the older man.

Tommy pointed a finger at him, "five." He pointed, "come on you." He pushed Maeve toward the door and she shrugged his hands off, "i can walk myself."

Maeve took one last look at the van across the road as she walked down to Garrison Lane with both Tommy and Polly. Something was up, she could feel it.

"Ello John, my favourite uncle." Maeve grinned, sitting opposite him and putting her feet upon the chair.

"All right John there's only one man guarding the house. Whats troubling you?" Tommy asked, leaning against the wall. John cleared his throat. "Polly, you know what it's been like since Martha died."

"God takes the best first.." Polly nodded.

"Truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings round me. Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours-" Maeve laughed and covered her mouth. "Alright, Pol give him ten bob to buy some new shoes. Is that it, John?" Tommy added.

Maeve rolled her eyes. "Tommy we'd be better to do this without you." Polly scolded. "Now what's your point?"

"What the kids need is a mother. So that's why i'm getting married." John finally told them. Maeve and Arthur shared a glance with each other, trying their best not to laugh.

"Does this poor girl know you're gonna marry her or are you just gonna spring it on her all of a sudden?" Polly asked.

"I've already proposed, and she said yes." John stuttered.

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang." Tommy lit another cigarette. John wiped his mouth, "it's er..it's Lizzie Stark."

That's when Maeve couldn't control it and she burst into laughter, losing her breath and holding her chest. "No, no stop it's not funny!" She wheezed.

"John- Lizzie Stark is a strong woman and i'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers." Polly chuckled. "I won't hear the word!" John snapped, "understand? Do not use that word."

"What word is that John?" Maeve tilted her head.

"You know what word that is." John muttered. Arthur laughed, "everybody bloody knows-"

"Everybody can go to hell!" John huffed. Tommy pushed himself off the wall, "whore, that word?" Tommy suggested. Maeve took a breath, "i was thinking prostitute. What about that one?" She chimed in.