𝟔𝟎

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟎

Maeve looked over to the door as it creaked open, her eyes landing on a small black cat. She furrowed her brows and sat up, squinting to try and get a better look at it.

A cat? In Tommys house? Surely not.

It just sat. It sat and stared at her straight in the eye as if it were trying to protect something— or warn her. Maeve looked around. It was still dark outside.

The cat just remained still, its back straight and its ears up. Maeve stared right back at it.

That's when she woke up, the sun shining through the curtains as it began to rise. She groaned and dragged a hand over her face. The cat was gone.

Maeve sat up and tucked her hair behind her ears. She knew the meaning of a black cat and she remembered what happened the last time one had appeared in her dreams.

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. When would this family ever get a bit of peace?

After sitting there for a few minutes, Maeve finally decided to drag herself from the bed and change into more appropriate clothes before she went down to greet Tommy and any other potential visitors.

"Morning." Tommy sighed as he passed Maeve on the stairs. She frowned and stopped walking, watching him walk up the steps. "Morning?" She replied in a somewhat confused tone.

Tommy raised an eyebrow and looked at her. "What's wrong now, Maeve? It's only—" he paused and checked his watch, "ten in the morning and you already sound confused."

Maeve's mouth parted and she shifted her weight to one foot. "I'll have you know that i'm perfectly fine thank you." She scoffed, turning to continue walking.

Tommy mumbled a few things under his breath and she decided to ignore him.

"Good morning Mary." She greeted politely, slowly looking over to the door as it opened. Her heart dropped at the sight of Isiah and Finn. Maeve and Isiah just looked at each other.

"Maeve!" Finn said excitedly, sounding like a child on Christmas morning. Maeve ignored the sinking feeling in her chest and smiled widely at her uncle, accepting his hug. "Hello Finny." Maeve let out a breath.

Finn hugged her tightly. "Didn't give you a proper greeting the last time I saw you." He said in an apologetic way.

"That's okay. You don't owe me anything after I picked up and left." She laughed half heartedly. Maeve pulled away and jokingly grabbed his face. "You're still taller than me, eh?" Maeve grinned.

Finn smirked and shook his head. "Yeah but you just don't grow very much."

Maeve glanced over Finn's shoulder at Isiah who had remained by the door with his hands in his pockets, looking around the room. He was purposely looking anywhere but her.

She refrained from saying something to him and instead took a step back.

"So are you excited for the party then?" Finn asked. Isiah quickly shoved his foot into the back of Finn's knee and Finn groaned, doubling over and grabbing his leg.

"Isiah, you bastard!" He exclaimed. Isiah cleared his throat and checked his time piece.

Maeve looked between the two with concern on her face. "What party?" She asked. Isiah bit his tongue, not wanting to talk to her but knowing he had to. "Nothing— no party. Finn is getting confused.. aren't you Finn?" Isiah asked sternly as he discreetly grabbed the back of Finn's shirt.