𝟔𝟐

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟐

Maeve watched from the corner of the Garrison whilst Arthur poured a glass, sitting opposite a man she'd never seen before. "Really meaningful, you know, a heartfelt song." Arthur rambled.

"I like it, i really do." Arthur nodded. "Boys—" He paused when he seen Maeve approach the table. "And Maeve, this here is Billy Grade, the man i was telling you about," he said. "Billy, this here is my kid brother, Finn." he tapped Finn. "Hey". Billy whispered.

"And this is my daughter Maeve." Arthur said, staring Billy directly in the eye.

Billy cautiously looked over his shoulder at the ginger girl who was stood directly behind him with her arms crossed.

"I'd be careful, she bites." Isiah said, earning half a grin from her.

Maeve leaned forward, pushing Arthur's glass toward him. "Have a drink, Billy." She instructed.

"I can't, my voice is.." He began.

"Drink, Bill." Arthur cut him off, more demanding him rather than suggesting. Billy nodded, hesitantly drinking. "You boys won't remember but i remember when Billy here made a living on the football pitch."

Billy laughed. "Yeah that was a long time ago Mr Shelby."

"What a left foot, eh?" Arthur said. "Yeah." Billy chuckled. Maeve and Isiah shared a glance. "And then what, manager, right?" Arthur hummed.

"Yeah, and now i'm a singer."

"A singer." Maeve hummed in amazement, moving round to stand behind Isiah, leaning her elbows on his shoulders.

"Are ya?" Arthur joked. "Every football team in England..knows Billy Grade, and he knows a few people too don't you Bill, hm?"

"One or two." Billy agreed quietly.

"Useful," Arthur told Finn. "Very useful. But what do you do Bill, eh? You're in here singing or whatever you call it, in shithole pubs in Birmingham." Arthur tutted.

Maeve gasped dramatically. "Do never speak down on our Garrison like that." She jokingly scolded. Arthur smiled and put his hands up in defence.

"That's no way to make a living, boys. Degrading." Arthur added.

"I love it," Billy said. "I really do, i love it. And thank you by the way for inviting me here tonight i really appreciate it—"

"Don't thank me. I didn't invite you here to sing. I wanna listen to music i'll buy a record. That's what i do. Real singer, you know, melody, tune." Arthur rambled.

"So what is it that you want, exactly?" Billy questioned.

Maeve, Finn and Isiah watched, amused. "Finn will explain the nature of my proposition, you'll listen to him won't you Bill? Cause if you don't, my Maeve has no problem taking your eyes, or tongue, or even shooting you. I know she's only little but.." he shrugged, half joking with his last comment.

"Yeah of course." Billy seemed slightly frightened at the sudden mention of violence.

Maeve couldn't help but smile, nodding at Billy.