𝟏𝟖

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

Maeve tiredly wiped the surface of the Garrison bar, frowning when Tommy walked in and completely ignored her. He walked through to where Arthur sat, probably drunk from working all night.

"Arthur..Arthur wake up!" He shook his brother, "go home, get bathed. Check your kit, check your weapons." Tommy pointed, turning back to the door.

Arthur lazily stood and held onto the wall, "why? What's going on?

Maeve stopped cleaning and looked at them both. "We're doing it today- happy birthday Maeve." Her uncle spoke, shoving his cap back onto his head. Maeve winced and hushed him, shaking her head, "too early for this shit- dad what're we doing today?"

"Billy Kimber..we're finishing him." Arthur breathed heavily, wiping his eyes.

"On my fucking birthday?" Maeve groaned, "couldn't have waited a few more days?" She asked, throwing down the cloth and grabbing the gun she'd placed under the counter the night previous. She tucked it into her pocket and nodded at Arthur, "i'm going home."

"Yeah..yeah you do that," he waved her off, yawning.

-

"Dad? our Katie's done a wee in the bed again." one of Johns kids shouted as John and Esme remained in the bedroom. "I'll be there in a minute mate!" John laughed.

Tommy walked in, looking at the two. "John i told you to keep the doors locked." he reminded. "I could've been anyone now get dressed, we're doing it today."

"As a matter of fact he's doing me today," Esme sat up. "Make sure he's done you by nine." Tommy pointed, leaving the room.

"You should learn to knock."

"It's not a day for knocking," Tommy said.

Maeve walked into the kitchen, pushing her hair over her shoulders and raising her eyebrows when she saw Polly stood facing the table.

Polly stood, praying. "Dear lord may this day pass well, let none get hurt, and make them that do, not Shelby's," she whispered. "Watch John, because he has so many depending on him. Watch Arthur, because he's likely to hurt himself as much as anyone else. And watch Thomas, i know how he is but he does what he does for us."

The older woman took a deep breath, "and look out for Maeve because only god knows how far she'll go in a situation like this. But she does it for us, just like Tommy." She whispered.

Maeve cleared her throat and leaned against the wall, "Just like Tommy, thanks Pol.

-

"Right i've brought you all here today, because this is the day that we replace Billy Kimber." he stood tall. "This is the day we become respectable. The day we join the official National Association of race course book makers." he nodded.

"But first," Tommy continued, "we do the dirty work. We've all known this days been coming, I just haven't told anyone the date." He turned to the chalk board. "We're going to the Worcester Races. Track opens at one, we'll get there at two. Now Kimber thinks we're going there to help him fight the Lee brothers, but thanks to the efforts of our John, and his lovely new wife Esme," he pointed at them. "The lees are now our kin."