𝟓𝟒

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟒

Maeve's eyes widened when she hovered over Tommy's office desk. She turned the page in the diary and read the words on the page.

Artillery Square

Tommy had gone to Artillery Square again, to finish it with Luca Changretta. Or attempt to finish it with Luca Changretta.

She glanced down at the gold bracelet on her wrist and thought for a few moments. "I have a place in this business." She muttered. Maeve knew that going after Tommy would not be a good idea at all. But she knew that he'd be outnumbered four to one.

And the moment Maeve placed that bracelet on her wrist, was the moment she vowed to protect her family.

Clearly nobody had any idea about Tommy's plans for the day. But Maeve now did. And she also knew where Tommy kept his guns.

A wide grin displayed itself across her face as she walked over to the large cupboard that was locked up. She kneeled down and reached underneath it, her fingers trailing against the wood until she felt a key. "You need to think of better places, Tommy." She whispered to herself.

Her eyes glistened when she opened up the cupboard, revealing various types of guns. She knew her own gun wouldn't be of any help in a situation like this.

So instead she grabbed a bigger one, longer one. The type that she was most definitely not allowed to just walk around with in the streets. But when did Maeve Shelby ever care for rules?

Maeve loaded the gun and locked the cupboard back up again before leaving Tommy's office. She quickly backtracked and went back inside to finish the glass of whiskey that she'd poured.

"What're you doing with that!?" Lizzie practically shouted when she saw Maeve walking through the building.

"I have a job to do, Lizzie. And so do you— get those fingers typing on that lovely typewriter that Tommy got you." Maeve retorted without even looking at the woman.

Lizzie just watched her walk out, her mouth open.

Maeve decided to walk to Artillery Square considering she knew Small Heath like the back of her hand. She knew every side road and every shortcut possible — besides, it's not like she could drive there, Maeve didn't know how to drive.

There was a light frustration that sat in her because over time, Maeve had began to notice that it was always her involved in this kind of stuff. Never Finn or John, not even Arthur. Somehow, in some way, Tommy managed to have Maeve involved. Even if it was by choice. She was always involved.

As she rounded the corner to the multiple apartment buildings, she was met with a green van that had been left open.

Maeve held her gun close and went to see if there was anybody inside. Nobody. For whatever reason, Maeve's heart had began pounding.

There was a dead man on the floor not too far from where she was standing. And judging by the pool of blood that sat around him, he'd been dead for a while before she got there.

Maeve heard footsteps echo up the staircases and she took a deep breath, approaching the fire escape stairs. She pointed her gun as she saw an old woman going to an apartment with an open door.