𝟒𝟒

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟒

Maeve sat at the couch in Ada's main room, her feet up whilst she watched Ada return with Micheal and Polly.

"Hello Micheal." Maeve said happily, earning a nod from the boy as he walked through awkwardly. "I brought Micheal because as chief accountant, he has to be a witness." Polly said.

Maeve leaned her chin in her hands and watched them.

"Ada can i use your phone?" Micheal asked, sounding awfully worried. "Micheal," Polly scolded, "business first." She added. He hesitantly sat at the table, checking his pocket watch.

"Time doesn't change much in the space of seconds, Micheal." Maeve frowned when he continued looking down at it. "Micheal stop looking at your watch." Polly scolded calmly.

"Ada, whilst you're reading this- can i go and use your phone?" He asked again. Ada looked up at him with a tormenting smile. "Who's the lucky girl, Micheal?" Maeve spoke up.

"Her name is Charlotte." Polly said, sounding uninterested. "And Micheal can not breathe if he does not talk to her every two hours."

"Ada please." Micheal begged. "Phones in the hall, dial nought for the line. And keep it quick, i pay the bill." Ada joked. Maeve sat forward, "hold on, Micheal! You said her name was Charlotte, Charlotte what?" She asked, already having a plan in her head.

Micheal took a frustrated breath. "Charlotte Murray."

Maeve gasped dramatically. "I know her! I do- I know her." She joked, seeming rather truthful. Polly and Ada looked over and Micheal's face dropped. "You know her?"

"Nah only messing. Go call ya girlfriend." She bit back her laugh when he bit his tongue and turned swiftly to the hall.

"Maeve that wasn't nice." Ada said whilst she flicked through papers. Maeve shrugged, "he needs to loosen up. I was only having a joke."

Maeve then began drowning out the conversation that started between the two older women and admired the painting on the wall. She seemed to be drowning out conversations a lot when she wasn't taking her medication.

"Think about it Pol, together we can take control. With two of us in the company we can straighten things out."

"What about the politics?"

"You and me fighting together and winning- that is politics, it's a new kind of politics." Ada argued. "It ain't bloody politics." Maeve snorted. But she was completely ignored. "It's just this way i get paid and Karl gets a nice Christmas."

"Good, welcome to the bourgeoisie." Polly said, earning a chuckle from Ada. "Welcome to Shelby Company Limited." Polly said proudly when Ada finally signed her signature on the paper.

"Shelby Company Limited. Limited and unarmed."

Micheal entered again. "Micheal, would you like to welcome Ada, our new head of property and acquisitions."

"Congratulations." Micheal nodded. "Where do i sign?" Polly slid the paper to him and he began scribbling down his signature. "Ada, have you got whiskey?"

"Yeah, Tommy." She scoffed.

Maeve whistled. "Whiskey sounds lovely actually, Michael. Get me a glass too?" She suggested, her hands behind her head.