𝟖

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

Maeve struggled to sleep that night, the moment repeating over and over again, Maeve growing more and more ashamed of herself. Maeve wasn't homophobic, no way. But she certainly didn't like girls.

And waking up the next morning to get ready for school made her feel ten times worse. She'd have to see Thea in school. How on earth was she supposed to prevent it being awkward. Maeve lacked in that skill, being awkward was a specialty.

"What's up with you this morning?" Max questioned, handing her an apple for breakfast like he did every school morning. Maeve gripped the straps of her bag and stared at the floor, "couldn't sleep." She lied.

Well technically it wasn't a lie because she couldn't sleep.

Cameron awkwardly stood on the other side of Maeve, unsure if he wanted to say something to her or not. But he didn't. Both Montgomery brothers could feel the anger radiating off her.

Another thing that usually happened to Maeve. When she was having a bad day, like the current one for example, she couldn't process anything else other than upset or anger. And today was anger.

"You sure you're okay?" Cameron finally spoke up and Maeve just nodded, "perfect." Max looked down at her hand, "so perfect that you've almost crushed that apple with your own hand?"

She also looked down and swore under her breath, throwing the piece of fruit to the ground and kicking it, sending it into a wall. Maeve pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration and the brothers looked at each other. She definitely wasn't okay.

"Where's Theadosia this morning?" Max asked. Maeve looked up, "what about Theadosia?" She defended quickly. Max raised an eyebrow, "you're being weird today, Shelby. Really weird."

"I'm not in the mood Max and i really don't want to punch you. So please don't make me feel like i have to cause it's not like I can punch Cam cause i've already broken his nose." She paused, "which i apologise for."

Cameron almost gasped. Maeve Shelby apologising for physically hurt someone..someone who'd said something about Arthur. Wow, she really wasn't being normal.

"Maeve, are you sure-"

"I'm fine! Just stop, please. I'm perfectly fine. All i want to do is get on with this day and go home." She snapped, walking off a bit quicker than the boys.

Maeve knew that today wouldn't be a good day. Especially not for anybody who decided to wind her up because she would not be able to hold back. "You're late," the teacher said the second she stepped into the room.

"Okay." She huffed, slamming her bag down onto the floor and sitting down. "Miss Shelby-"

"Just get on with the lesson. You complained that i'm late but yet you're the one delaying the lesson further." She smiled sarcastically, watching the teachers face drop. "Very well then."

"Oi, Shelby." Jane whispered. Maeve ignored her, "Shelby i'm talking to you."

"What the fuck do you want Jane?" Maeve hissed, digging her nails into her palms. "Where's Theadosia today? You killed her?" Jane teased.

"I wouldn't be surprised with her being a Shelby," Her boyfriend, Blake, added. "Will you two fuck off?" Maeve raised her eyebrows. Blake whistled at her tone and grinned. "What you going to do? Break my nose like you did Cameron's? Yeah we heard what you did."