𝟑𝟔

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟔

"What the fuck is a charity dinner anyway?" Maeve asked Finn, linking her arm around his as they walked through the large hall. Finn shrugged, "there's Isiah." He pointed, keeping her close as they walked through the crowd.

She uncomfortably tugged at her dress and pushed her curled hair behind her shoulders. "Isiah, what're you doing here?" Finn asked, greeting the boy with a smile.

"I'm apart of Peaky Blinder protection ain't i, kinda have to be here." Isiah said, sipping a whiskey glass.

Maeve had to admit, she much preferred him in a suit and tie rather than Blinder attire. Dare she say he looked handsome. "I er..heard what happened."

Maeve snapped her head toward him. "You did?"

"I did." Isiah nodded. Finn watched the boy carefully, ready to swing for him if he said anything out of order. "And I just hope you've done the right thing." Isiah said, his voice rather cold.

She breathed heavily, digging her nails into her palms. "I'm not getting into this tonight, Isiah." She refused, searching the crowd for a friendly face.

Isiah went to speak again but Finn placed a hand on Isiah's arm, stopping him. "Leave it, mate. She's struggling enough with the family kicking off at her. Doesn't need you joining in too.

"Oi, you." John shouted, placing an empty glass down onto a table and calling over the ginger girl. Maeve lifted her dress from her floor and joined him, ignoring the fact Arthur looked away from her. "You stay close, yeah?" He said, handing her a drink.

"Yeah.." she whispered, watching Tommy walk over to Grace and some brunette woman.

"I've got a feeling John.." she whispered, tugging on his sleeve, "i can feel it." She repeated. Her back was crawling with goosebumps and her skin had gone cold despite the warmth of the room. Maeve could feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

It had been a whilst since she felt like this, it had been a while since she got a warning this severe. Something wasn't right. She could just sense it.

"John please listen to me." She begged, her heart pounding.

"You're just being paranoid, alright?" Arthur said, fixing his collar. "Shut up," she hissed, shaking. her head and crossing her arms. "I'm telling you, something isn't right. We need to go."

"Maeve, don't ruin our fun just because ya angry with yourself." Arthur said plainly, taking a drink off a passing man who weld a tray in his hand.

Once she realised they weren't taking any notice of what she was saying, she walked off, trying to find someone else to talk to.  But it was practically impossible, she knew hardly any faces in the room. And she certainly didn't want to talk to Isiah in that moment in time.

It was only when a bracelet fell from her wrist, she stopped and knelt down. A sudden coldness washed over her and she stood slowly, turning at the shouts of a man.

"For Angel!" He had a gun pointed toward her. Everything began moving in slow motion and the shot echoed.

Isiah and John were the first to run forward toward her, Arthur tackling the man who'd shot her, sending off another shot which then fired into Grace's chest.