𝟒𝟔

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟔

Maeve quickly covered her eyes when she was awoken by the sound of keys. She groaned loudly and dragged her hands across her face.

"Fuck off." She said loudly, her voice bouncing off the walls. She eventually sat up when the door of her cell opened. "And what do you want now?" Maeve asked, leaning up on her elbows and raising an eyebrow.

The officer sighed and shook his head, a light smile on his face. Not a smile of spite but instead a smile of sympathy. "Been locked up for months and you've not lost your sense of humour, Miss Shelby." He said.

The officer was young. At least twenty. And he was clearly different to the others.

She scoffed and leaned back on her elbows.

"Are ya going to tell me what's going on then?" She snapped, not wanting to thank him for his half compliment. He stepped aside and there stood a priest which caused Maeve to scoff and throw her head back.

"Thought when i'd be put in here i'd get rid of fucking Linda. What is it, Sunday?" She asked with disgust painted across her face.

The priest looked ever so guilty. She watched in confusion as he started repeating some words quietly. "Is he speaking English?" Maeve asked the officer who had now turned away from her.

"May the lord be with you," he nodded before brushing past the officer to leave. "I don't have a bloody lord." Maeve sighed, leaning back again.

It was only when she was ordered to stand she realised something was wrong. She put her arms out at her sides, expecting to be searched for something. "What're you doing?" Maeve asked when he placed handcuffs around her wrists. Her heart was pounding. "No, there's been a mistake, there's an appeal process on the way that doesn't begin until January. I want to see my lawyer."

"You don't have a lawyer, Miss Shelby." He reminded her. Despite the severity of what was happened, she still struggled to hold back a chuckle at her light stupidity. "Oh yeah, my apologies."

As she was dragged out onto the hall way, she held her head up with a somewhat psychotic smile on her face, spitting at the feet of an officer who stood by the bar doors. "Merry Christmas," she shouted, her voice echoing.

The officer looks at her strangely and, of course, Maeve being Maeve. She made a joke. "Don't look at me like that, i'm not even eighteen yet!" Her voice was high pitched as she lied.

Maeve had celebrated her birthday earlier that month, alone in her cell. The only happy birthday wishes she received was from the young officer and whichever member of the family who had shouted it up the hall.

"Keep moving," he pushed her forward.

A loud bang could be heard along with shouts which caused Maeve to turn her head. "I'm John Shelby!" A voice rang out. Maeve swiftly looked over her shoulder and laid her eyes on John who was too being dragged through a different hallway, acting fairly similar to her.

"John!" She shouted. John looked over his shoulder and his face dropped, "Maeve? Ey, you get your hands off her!" He ordered, only to be ushered along.

Maeve had now made a guess as to what was going on. But once again, she let a cackle like laugh fall from her mouth and throw her head back, making it seemingly difficult for the officers who were walking her along before kicking her legs into the door in front of them.