𝟑𝟎

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟎

Maeve anxiously paced the incredibly small cell, taking deep breaths. She couldn't take it anymore. She ran forward, hitting the metal door with her fist.

"Where's my dad? Let me see my dad!" Her voice was shaking as she shouted, a lump growing in her throat. She felt like a child again, crying for Arthur just like she used to. "Tell me where he is!"

"Miss Shelby, quiet down." The copper smacked the door with his hand. Maeve caught a glance of Polly who walked past with her head down. "Aunt Pol- Polly!" Maeve said quickly. "Polly!"

Polly stopped walking and looked at the girl through the bars that separated the cells from the hallway. "Maeve?"

"Aunt Pol why're you here?" She asked, gripping onto the window bars of the door. Polly looked shocked. "I'm here to talk to that Inspector- Maeve, we'll get you out." She said before walking off.

Maeve punched the door once more before leaning against it, sliding down it slowly and pulling at her hair. "Fucking get me out.." she said, tears rolling down her face.

Anger fell over her and she leaned against the wall, sat on the floor, her fist colliding with the metal door over and over again, small cuts appearing on her knuckles.

"Miss Shelby, i'm warning you."

"I don't fucking care!" She shouted, sobbing as she continued punching the door, blood now transferring onto it. "I need to see my dad," she finally broke, dragging her hands over her face and taking a shaky breath.

The copper stood outside, listening whilst sobs left the girls mouth and she continued sending her fist into either the wall or the door. He nodded at another copper and turned to unlock the door.

Maeve slowly looked up and began shouting when they grabbed her by her arms, dragging her down the hallway. "Stop it! Stop- you're hurting me!" She begged, "dad!" Maeve shouted, her voice echoing. "Please let me go!"

"It's amazing when they beg, isn't it? They own the city outside these walls but once they're in here- they're nothing." One of them grinned, tightening their grip.

Maeve shook her head and her breath increased rapidly and her chest heaved up and down. "Please let me go!" She struggled to get her words out as they unlocked the door to a new cell and forced her inside, shoving her down into a chair.

They tied her hands behind her back and panic flooded through her. "What's going on? What're you going to do to me? Dad!"

No matter what happened, she continued calling for Arthur, not caring if he would hear her. No matter how old she got, she'd always need her dad.

Maeve felt incredibly vulnerable, her face soaked with tears, fear becoming clear in her face when Inspector Campbell entered the room.

"I heard you were disobeying orders, Miss Shelby," he said, lifting her face up by her chin. She breathed heavily, disgusted by his touch. "You answer when being spoken to!"

"Where is my dad?"

"You're dad won't see the outsides of these walls ever again," Campbell sniggered, "he'll be dead by the time the year is out, i assure you that."