𝟓

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

"What the bloody hell happened to you?" Maeve hissed as she entered the kitchen where Arthur sat, Ada shoving a wet cloth into Johns hand. "John wipe the blood out of his eye."

"Since when did you give orders?"

"I'm a trained nurse," she hummed, walking around the table. Both Maeve and Arthur chuckled, "don't make me laugh. It hurts my face."

"I bloody am!" Ada argued. "You went to one first aid class in the church hall and got thrown out for giggling." Maeve raised her eyebrows.

John threw his arm around his nieces shoulder and grinned. "Not before i learned how to stop someone choking," Ada continued.

"I'm not bloody choking am i?" Arthur huffed, wincing when Polly pressed an cloth to his eye. "You will be when i wrap this cloth round ya neck."

The door slammed and Tommy came through, bottle of whiskey in hand. "Let me see him- all right have this. Give me that," Arthur hissed in pain when Tommy wiped his face with an alcohol soaked cloth.

Maeve winced and bit her tongue. "Said Mr Churchill sent him to Birmingham, national interest he said. Something about a robbery. Said he wants us to help him."

"We don't help coppers," both Maeve and John said in unison.

"He knew all about our war records, said we're patriots like him. Wants us to be his eyes and ears. I said- i said we would have a family meeting and take a vote."

Tommy stared at him blankly. "Well why not, hm? We've got truck with feniens or communists. What's wrong with you? What the fucks wrong with him lately?"

"If i knew i'd buy the cure from the chemist," Polly huffed.

"Dad, we aren't helping out coppers, especially not ones who do stuff like this," Maeve pulled a chair opposite him. "It makes no sense," she shook her head.

-

Maeve swore as John pulled her hair. "Oi, you two don't be causing trouble." Tommy warned, looking at them through the rear view mirror. "Yeah, John." Maeve crossed her arms.

"Shut up you ginge," he whispered, leaning forward. She gasped dramatically and smacked his arm, "there's nothing wrong with being ginger, John! At least i've not got a dodgy haircut like you."

"Ay, that was the barbers fault!" He argued. Arthur sniggered in the front seat and looked out at the road as they drove. "Arthur, are you not going to tell them?"

"No, because she'll win. It'll be John crying and i'd pay to see that."

"Arthur your daughter is fucking feral!" John squealed, interrupting them both. Arthur turned around, "why what's she done?" He asked.

John held up the back of his hand, "she fucking scratched me!"

"Yeah but i would've done it with a blade if you weren't my favourite uncle." She shrugged, leaning back proudly, John let out a breath and stared at her, "don't give if you can't take, Uncle John."

"Shut up, Maeve."

Arthur laughed again and Tommy parked the car. "Remember, Maeve, you're only here to keep an eye on the horse whilst we speak with Johnny Dogs. No causing issues." Tommy said as they all got out.