𝟐𝟖

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖

Micheal cleared his throat, "Day rate, seven shillings." he spoke, sliding the coins forward. "Loading unloading. Night rate, three. Total ten."

"Let's go and get a drink," Isiah spoke.

"No i'm alright." Micheal refused. "Come on its pay day." Isiah argued, putting out his cigarette. "Everybody has a drink on payday,"

"Not me."

"You think your mum don't have a drink on pay day? You think the lord almighty don't have a drink on payday" he laughed, his accent strong. "Man it's on fire out there. Woman from the BSA offices. Honest. They go out on their own without men these days. In twos and threes now. Mickey, they go out in twos and threes and buy their own drinks."

"The Marquis," Isiah continued. "That's where the BSA secretaries go. Look, they won't serve a black man without a Shelby by his side."

Micheal looked at him, sitting up straight. "So you're using me?"

"Yeah? Come on?"

"Maeve is a Shelby too y'know." Micheal reminded him. "Micheal, she's not left the house in weeks, you really think i'll get her to the Marquis? It was hard enough convincing her to come over tonight."

-

They walked into the pub, woman who walked past smiling at them. "I told you. I fucking told you. This city is going mad," Isiah laughed. "Girls go out on their own now." he handed Micheal a cigarette.

"Two pints of dark mild please." Micheal asked the man. "Fuck that, we're peaky boys, two whiskeys." Isiah corrected.

Micheal shook his head , lighting the cigarette. "You get used to it, then you can't stop." Isiah assured him.

A man approached them, looking Isiah up and down. He whistled, grabbing the boys attention. "I don't drink with blacks."

"Here we fucking go," Isiah sighed in annoyance.

"Paddy they're okay." The barman intervened. "Not with me they're not" the boy was from Liverpool, thick accent. "I don't drink in pubs with blacks." he said again. "So leave," Micheal shrugged.

"Look, my dad is the preacher round here, he has connections, ask anyone." Isiah told him. "I couldn't give a fuck who he is." Paddy retorted.

"I'm telling you to leave it Paddy." The barman warned.

"And i'm telling this darkie to get out of here," Paddy spat.

"You know something, fuck off!" Isiah pointed. "It's all right Isiah leave it, we'll go to my cousins pub," Micheal said. "I like it here." Isiah hissed.

"You fucking-" Paddy sent his fist forward, punching Isiah.

A man went for Micheal, punching him.

"Paddy, the white ones a peaky blinder, him Polly Shelby's son" he shouted, panic lacing his voice, "he's Polly Shelby's son!" He repeated, "Are you fucking suicidal?"

"Sir? Sir i'm sorry i didn't know.." Paddy backed away, hands up in defence.  "I'm sorry, i really didn't know."

"Get out the fucking pub" Isiah said, pointing at them. The men scurried away. "We ordered some drinks and we're going to drink them," Micheal spoke, leaning against the bar.