𝟒𝟐

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟐

Maeve sat in the living room of Ada's home, cup of tea in hand. The night previously, Tommy had dropped her to stay at Ada's as he had planned to go there incase anything went wrong.

He was relying on Maeve to help him out because he had a deep, gut feeling that something would happen. And Tommy knew she'd be the only one who could truly help him.

The only one other than Ada who truly cared.

"You're up early," Ada said as she entered the room. Maeve looked up from a newspaper she was reading and shrugged, "couldn't sleep."

"Something on your mind?" Ada asked, picking up Karl and placing him on the couch opposite Maeve.

Yes, something was indeed on her mind but she knew she couldn't tell Ada. Maeve was deeply worried about Tommy and his stupid plan to kill Father Hughes.

"No, suppose it's just the change of scenery. I've never like change." Maeve flashed Ada a light smile before looking back at her newspaper. "Very well then." Ada said.

-

Tommy looked down at the bullet with Hughes' name carved in it, placing it into his gun and following the priest into the building.

He held his gun tight, walking through the lavatory cautiously. As he pointed his gun, two men grabbed him from behind, shoving him against the wall and punching him. Tommy fought back but eventually got thrown to the floor, hitting his head on the concrete. The man picked his head up, throwing it against the metal pipe.

He pushed Tommys head against the wall and he screamed, his eyes rolling to the back of his head as a crack was heard.

-

"You idiot, you nearly killed him. I told you we needed him fully conscious." Jarvis said, looking at Tommys body. "We need to stop using soldiers who've been in India, they hit too hard."

"Not fucking hard enough," Hughes hissed, pushing Tommy with his foot. "Mr Shelby, i heard about your plan to kill a holy man from a voice in the confessional."

"Can you hear us?" Jarvis asked,

"Grace?" Tommy whispered.

"Shelby," Jarvis leaned over him. "Why were you attempting to kill father Hughes? Maybe we should wait until he's fully conscious."

"I have a dinner appointment," Hughes complained. "Shelby," he grabbed his face, "wake up, eyes front. Mr Shelby, you were trying to kill me, were you?"

"Passing information.." Tommy whispered.

"Fuck. He knows." Jarvis said. Thomas opened his eyes, groggily looking about. "Where am i?"

"You are among the Odd Fellows. Please count from ten to one."

"Ah fuck you.." Tommy grumbled, simply refusing to do what they asked. If Tommy Shelby was one thing, he was a man who didn't take orders. Especially from a bloody priest.

-

Tommy slouched in his chair, asleep. Mary walked in, "Sir, i don't understand.." she paused when Tommy jumped, waking. "I don't understand why as a former soldier yourself, you have sacked all of the former soldiers on the staff. It means there's only one man in the household."