𝟓𝟖

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟖

The sun beamed through the large window of Maeve's home. She walked through the halls, her heels echoing as they tapped along the wooden floors.

"There's more post for you, Miss Shelby." Her trusted driver said as he entered the house, envelopes in hand. She smiled softly and accepted them. "There's food on the table, feel free to go sit and eat." She offered.

He smiled gratefully and nodded before she walked off.

Maeve entered her office and allowed the door to fall closed. Her eyes quickly scanned the front of each envelope. Most of which were invitations to social gatherings.

But one stood out to her. It wasn't as neat as the others— implying that it was somebody from the office.

Maeve hummed, shrugging and throwing the pile onto her desk before standing by the window. She admired the sky whilst the sun had began rising.

Suddenly, the phone rang. "Maeve Shelby, who's speaking?" She answered, her eyes going over anything that had been written into her diary for the next few days.

"Miss Shelby— it's Denise from the exchange, we have a Miss Lillian Dean wanting to talk to you." Denise spoke with a slightly confused tone. Maeve hummed and slowly sat in her chair, "give her the number."

The line went dead for a few moments before somebody finally answered. "Maeve?"

"Hello mother," Maeve replied. "How are things?"

There was a clear smile that Maeve could hear whilst Lillian spoke. "Happy to hear you're still okay. How has New York been?"

Maeve leaned back in her chair. "No different than the last time you called me mum. Nevertheless, it's good." Maeve nodded despite Lillian being unable to see her.

The day Tommy had organised for Maeve to leave, she decided to pay her mother a visit. She thought it was only right— even though she owed the woman absolutely nothing.

The call didn't last long, it was like their typical phone call they'd have every other week. "Okay— yeah you enjoy you evening." Maeve said. She placed the phone down and glanced at the clock. Still early morning for her.

She looked back at the letters and decided she'd look at them when she could be bothered.

Maeve's life had improved majorly since her move to New York. Tommy had given her an incredibly nice house to live in. He'd given her a job, she was working in an office for a man called Jonathan Davies doing god knows what. She also had limited control over Shelby Distillery. Maeve was on medication that didn't make her feel more insane, just more relaxed. She had been seen by a doctor or two.

She was doing better.

The only thing that would get in her way from time to time would be how it went down the day she left. The way Arthur was so upset with her— the words that left Isiah's mouth.

By Maeve's request, Tommy had kept her contact information completely private. Only him and Lizzie knew how to contact her due to the fact she still had connections with Shelby Company Limited.

Did she feel guilty for leaving? Sure. But did she regret it? No.

Maeve was approaching her twenty second birthday and she was excited. She had been gone for almost four years and she was glad.