conversations that need to be had

-Travis's pov-

It sucks that Taylor had to leave, but I know it's her job and she moves around a lot, especially now that she is on tour. If we want something to work between us, we should probably get used to the distance early on so we know that whatever connection we have can take it. But it was nice to head straight to practice in the morning to get my mind on right and not obsess over the fact that it's going to be a while until I get to see her again. She is on tour for another month or so before she has a break, and I'm at practice gearing up for a new NFL season. But there are phones for a reason, and cameras to see one another. It's not the most conventional way to build something like this, but we have to try, I want to try.

"Man, you played like fire today," my best buddy tells me, Patrick, or Pat as I call him. "Yeah, had all this pent-up energy" I've also had a shit-eating grin on my face all day, how can I not "And you're smiling so much today it's creepy. What's up dude?" he adds.

Looking around I make sure no one else is paying attention to us since we aren't looking for this thing between us to get out there anytime soon, if we can help it. "I started seeing someone. It's not... like it's not official with labels and shit, but yeah... I like her" I say, and his eyes widen.

"I want to be happy for you, but it's bad timing. Are you sure it's a smart decision?" he hesitantly asks, and I get where it's coming from. It's not a good time to start a relationship, but I'm trying anyway. All I can do is try and see where it goes or regret something that could have been epic. I'm all for the first option, giving it the best shot I can. "I know it's not... conventional or the best timing, but I have to man. I mean. She gets my busy schedule, God knows she has one too, but when you get that connection. Nothing is beating it" I tell him.

"Who is this girl then?" I'm unsure about telling him her name because I didn't want to get it out there, but I know I can trust him. Looking around again I make sure no one is listening now either before I lean closer and whisper her name to him. His eyes widen more than before, and he lets out an "oh shit."

"She is... I mean... how the fuck did that happen?" he asks, and I quietly tell him how it came about, but not the conversations I've had with her, that's private. I'm not one to share stuff without her permission, but I can tell him my side of things. "You know when this gets out you will get a label you can't shake off right?" he points out, and I know this.

I know that once people connect you with her she will almost always be mentioned whenever you are mentioned. But that isn't a reason not to at least give it a go. You don't know how things are going to turn out, but that doesn't mean it's not worth the shot. Sure, it's not going to be a walk in the park, but I'm pretty sure she is worth it.

"of course, I know that. But it's not about that shit. And I don't give a fuck either. I'm just doing my thing and living my life. If they want to talk, they can talk, I don't care" I don't care if it means I get to have her.

"I don't know her obviously, I can't speak on what kind of person she is. But just be careful, you remember how it ended with your ex" he makes a valid point, but she and Taylor aren't alike at all. Where Kayla was vindictive and manipulative Taylor has already proven to be upfront and honest. Like me, she isn't interested in playing games and all that juvenile shit we both have been through before. She hasn't told me details about her past situations, and I haven't told her mine either, but I have a feeling they are pretty similar considering the things we both say we need.

"Just be careful. And if it works out, I'm happy for you, always, you know that."

-Taylor's pov-