dress shopping

-Taylors pov-

Like a lot of other girls, I've imagined my wedding since I was little. It went from Disney princess romance to more elegant fantasies, but I still always knew I wanted to be married one day. Some girls, or guys, never dream such dreams, but for me, it was something that was important to me from an early age. I didn't have a set age I wanted to be married, I just knew that one day I wanted to have someone to call my husband. I don't believe in Prince Charming anymore, there is no such thing, but I don't need that either. I have the man of my dreams by my side, and I want to be tied to him, why wait? Life is uncertain and I don't want to waste time not being with him, truly being with him, just in case it's too late.

"come on sweetie" I open the car door for Elena, and she jumps out. we are at a bridal boutique in Kansas City to look for dresses. It's last minute so the selection will be limited, but I still want something special for the big day. Since it's so last minute it's just me, Elena, and Britt since she lives in Kansas City as well.

I will probably bring more people for my dress picking for the big wedding, but for this, there was no time to gather everyone. Everything is being done in a hurry but that's just how it has to be.

We head inside where Britt is already waiting for us, and I give her a big hug "Thanks for coming for this."

"of course. I wouldn't miss it. let's find your dress" She is excited, and I love that I'm not the only one excited about this wedding. It might not be the wedding I dreamed of, but it's still going to be perfect, I'm determined to make it perfect.

Before I got sick, I had already started to plan the big wedding, but that's now on the back burner until things get better, until I'm healthy.

"Hello," the saleswoman says, and we introduce ourselves for the appointment I booked. It wasn't easy to get an appointment on such short notice but waving the name Taylor Swift helped. I don't like to use my name to jump lines, it's not my style, but this time it was convenient.

"What kind of dress are you looking for? I understand that you're on a time crunch?" she asks as she leads us into a room with plenty of dresses to choose from. "I want an elegant piece to fit for a small ceremony. Nothing too flashy but I want to feel like a bride at the same time" I tell her.

She pulls out a few options after taking my measurements, dresses that should fit without alterations. "there really is no time for alterations on such short notice. So we need to look for something that will fit you like a glove right away" she says, and I nod and go through the dresses she brings over.

"This is pretty," Elena says and runs her finger down a sleek mermaid dress with a sweetheart neckline. It's elegant but not too over the top either. On closer inspection, the bust has intricated lace detailing sown into it, a little detail barely visible from a distance but gorgeous up close.

"let's try it on then" I smile at her, and she beams at me. it felt right to bring her, she is older than Maddie and can handle this better. I didn't want to bring a two-year-old into a fancy bridal boutique where she would have been bored out of her mind. My little troublemaker is home with her daddy instead.

I try on five different dresses that all fit like they were made for me. but I fall in love with a floor-length chiffon gown with a deep V-neck. The skirt is flowy, not sticking to my leg like a mermaid dress would do and it's draped gorgeously. I think I knew the second I saw myself in it that it would be the dress I took home today.

"It's so pretty," Elena says as the saleswoman puts a veil on me to give me the full bride effect. My hair was already in a bun so she could stick it in there just like I would have wanted it anyway. I don't want the kind of veil that goes over my face, but I don't mind one in the back. Maybe for the big wedding I want the full thing, but for this no.

"thank you. I love it. it's the dress, I don't need to try on anything else" I say and twirl around letting the chiffon move with me. it's not too heavy either, which I appreciate since some gowns are like wearing a weighted sack on you.

**

"Mommy!" Maddie shrieks as I enter our home with Elena. Both Maddie and Avery have learned to say mommy and daddy recently and I love it. I loved Mama and Dada too, but this is more grown-up for them. It shows they are getting older.

"hi, my little munchkin" I grin at her as she jumps into my arms, making me twirl her around. "dress?" she asks as I settle her on my hip.

"yes, Mommy and Elena found a pretty dress for me to marry Daddy in. You get to see it on the special day and wear your special dress too" I got matching dresses for Elena and Maddie yesterday. I took Elena with me to a dress store and had her help me pick out something for the two of them to wear. I knew Maddie would be happy with anything as long as I called it a special dress and it preferably was pink, but I wanted Elena to feel like she was a part of this too. Travis did the same thing with Jacob and got him a suit and a matching tie for Jacob and Avery. We want the six of us to look like the family I feel like we are, and everyone should be a part of it.

(A/N Some asked for Elena Pov so here is a little something)

-Elena Pov-

I head up to my room to take a breath. It was a lot to go with Taylor to shop for her wedding dress. It's not that I didn't want to go and didn't enjoy it, but I'm scared that I'm going to feel a part of the family and then they are going to decide they don't want me after all. It has happened before, so I know it can happen. I get comfortable and then we learn we weren't good enough after all. They say they want to be our forever family, but I struggle to believe that this is real. Kids like us don't get happy ever after, we don't get forever families.

Our bio parents are in jail, and I haven't seen either one of them since I was four years old, and we moved in with grandma. They say you don't remember stuff from when you were that little, but I do even though I wish I didn't. I remember being dirty and hungry, I remember the pain of being hit and the bad smells around us. I remember the police raiding our apartment, arresting my parents, and taking us away to Grandma.

I take a seat on my big bed in this house that feels like a dream. The closet is full of clothes that fit me, clothes that are always clean and hole-free. On the hook of the closet, my school uniform hangs for the fancy school they send me to five days a week. There is always food available in the kitchen, and I'm actually allowed to go in there at this house. I can get something to eat whenever I want, at least that's what they tell me. I haven't dared to try it, just in case it's a test. I know my brother has, he is fearless and always adapts better than me.

Taylor and Travis have been welcoming, treating us like they treat their own kids. It's strange, it's foreign but it feels good. I'm just scared that if I let myself feel it that it will go away. I don't want to lose this feeling of being safe.

There is a knock on my door before Travis steps In "Did you like the dress? I'm not allowed to see it apparently" he smiles at me, it's one of those addicting smiles where you can't help but smile back. "it's really pretty. You're going to love it"

"I'm sure I will. Come on dinner Is ready" he says and leaves the door open for me to follow him downstairs to their big kitchen and dining area. Everyone gathers here every day to eat together, family style. There is laughter and they ask me about my day. I want to belong here; I want to stay.