headlines

-Taylors Pov-

I spent a couple of hours with Avery tucked against my chest, and it was magical. But then it was time to pump so the nurses put him back in the incubator so I could get out the all-important drops for the kids. I pump, give it to them, and then they enrich the milk, so the calories get heightened before they give them to the babies.

An incubator comes closer, and I see that it's my little girl, finally done with surgery. The doctors come in with her and the surgeon takes off his cap. "she did wonderful, a real champ this one. The fix is holding and now it's all about recovery for her. Avoiding infections and keeping her healthy otherwise" the doctor says and tells me how I can't do kangaroo care with her quite yet because of her incision and the risks of infection, but they will tell me as soon as I can, probably in a few days.

Travis wheels me over to my daughter after they get her incubator all settled and I look at her precious little body all snuggled again. But this time there is a dressing down the middle of her chest, where they went in and fixed her heart. It's probably going to leave a scar, a battle wound.

"hi baby girl, you did so good" I coo to her, and Travis puts a hand on my shoulder as we take her in. "of course she did, she is your daughter" Travis whisper to me and I melt. "you're wrong, she is strong like her daddy."

"how about she is strong like both of us" Travis chuckles and I nod. "yeah, I don't think we will get anywhere with that argument" I join in on the snickering. The point is that she is part of both of us, and she can get through anything.

**

I'm back in my room when my phone goes off again. It's been going off several times when we were up in the NICU, but I didn't check it as I wanted to be present with our babies. Now my mom is up there with them so Travis and I can get a little break. It's not that someone needs to be there all the time, but as long as my mom is here, we take the chance to have one of us there. It's comforting to know there is a family member nearby just in case something happens.

Looking at my phone I see its tree, which means some bad news of sorts. She wouldn't call unless it's important. So I pick up and wait for the drama to be thrown in my lap to deal with. "Taylor, I'm so sorry to bother you, but this is important."

"hi tree, throw it at me, I'm ready," I say and just wait for it to hit me. I have a slight feeling it has something to do with the babies, but we will see.

"People know you had the babies, there are pictures of you in the NICU earlier today. You're holding your hand on both incubators from a wheelchair. It's all over the internet, it's blowing up. I'm getting asked from every corner for comments" she says, and I sigh before the anger boils inside me. who takes pictures of someone in a NICU, isn't that crossing a moral line or something?

I would never take pictures of someone in a damn hospital. There has to be a moral line somewhere that you won't cross right? But no some people don't have that line apparently. Can't we have some peace in this hard time? can't we for once only focus on ourselves and not the world outside that wants a piece of the babies?

"That's just... what kind of person takes pictures of someone in a NICU for god's sake" I grumble and get the attention from Travis who is playing on his phone. So I sigh and put tree on speaker before telling him what's going on. They are his kids as well; he should have a say in how to deal with this.

"I know. It's horrible. But it's out there Taylor and I need to know how you two want to handle it. do you want to give a comment to a news outlet? I can call back my contact at People magazine. Or make a statement yourself? Or just ignore it and let it be what it is. It's up to you two really" She lays out the options.

For me, I know that selling a statement is not the way I want to go. I won't go to a magazine with an exclusive and make money off it, no fucking way. My babies deserve better than being used for that shit. But I don't know if I can say nothing either. So I guess making a statement myself is the best option. I don't know. But I need to do something at least.

"I'm leaning towards making a statement myself," I say into the phone and look questioning up at Travis. He nods at me, on board with my thoughts.

"That sounds like a plan then. Instagram and then transfer the text over to X or Twitter. Whatever you want to call it" she suggests, and I agree before we talk a little about what I should say.

Taylorswift13: I know people are wondering about what's going on after the pictures that were leaked. I did have the babies, as in two, and we are proud parents who wish for privacy for our kids. They didn't choose to be born into the spotlight and we intend to keep them out of it as much as possible. I know people are interested in more information, but I won't be giving more insight into the current situation. To my fans, I want to say thank you for the support and congratulations, that means a lot to us.

"that looks about right?" I ask Travis after I've typed out a message on Instagram along with a picture of two pairs of baby socks in neutral colors, which I took with Benji's paw in the corner of the picture. I took that back at home because I thought it was so cute with the little socks, and now it's coming in handy.

"it looks good. it's simple and to the point. It tells people that we don't wish for the babies to be in the spotlight. It's good" Travis says and kisses the top of my head. Without overthinking it I press publish and let the world take it from here. we have more than enough to focus on right here with our little family.

Putting my phone away I sink into Travis's arms and take a deep breath. "you, okay?" he mumbles as he wraps his arms around me tightly. "yeah, I'm fine, just need you."

"And you have me beautiful," he says before kissing my neck once. I revel in being in his arms, tightly wrapped up in the comfort it offers me. I tilt my head to meet his mouth, pressing my lips against him like a flutter at first before more firmly. "I love you."

"I love you too beautiful."