gala part 2

-Travis's Pov-

Not him. I don't want him anywhere near Taylor. But I can see his eyes on her from across the room. I don't know the dude, but he messed with her head and made her believe she wasn't good enough. No real man pulls that crap. She is perfect and he might have realized what he lost because he looks at her like a lost puppy. A lost determined puppy I should say.

But Blake thankfully breaks up the tension by coming over and hugging us both. "It's so exciting that you're here together. Ahh, I'm so happy" she gushes to Taylor while I fist-bump her husband Ryan. They are both cool genuine people I like more and more. They have been stable supportive people for Taylor for a long time, I know they have her back 100% no question. They have been here for her through a lot of crap and never wavered in their support of her. That says a lot about their character and intentions.

"He tried to ask me about you" I hear Blake say to Taylor and my alertness peak. I am pretty damn sure she is over him, but they were together for so long that there has to be something connecting them, right? I don't know. It's not like that with my ex, but who knows, it might be for her. We don't talk about Joe that much that I have much knowledge other than that it ended badly—they were together for a long time tho. I don't know. I guess I need to trust Taylor that she loves me, only me. I can't help but have some lingering insecurities though, who wouldn't?

"He can ask all he wants. Doesn't mean I need to talk to him" she says and takes my hand before squeezing it three times. I love you. That is what she is trying to tell me. I knew that, but it's still nice to feel it when things get like this. I don't want him near, call me overprotective or whatever, but u just don't. Seems like Taylor doesn't want him near either, which is good for me.

-Taylors Pov-

I don't want to see him, and I certainly don't want to talk to him. Who even invited him? I don't know. All I know is that I want him far away from me. the fact that he has the audacity to ask about me says a lot, we are over, and he knows that. I have no interest in starting anything with him ever again, it's over, done with. I'm much happier now after getting out from under his controlling thumb.

The last six years of my life have been thrown away more or less hiding out in a townhouse in London. It's not the way I want to live my life, but I didn't feel like I had any other option. It felt like I was choking, and I couldn't get out no matter how hard I tried. But I did get out and have no intention of ever getting back together with him. Ever. So why he finds the need to ask about me I don't know, and I don't want to cause a scene someplace like this. We are here for a gala, not to give magazines a headline to feed off from.

"you, okay?" Travis asks and I nod. I am, at least I think I am. he can't do anything to me anymore, no threat or otherwise gaslighting will get to me. I refuse to let him suck any more life out of me than he already has. I'm allowed to move on, I'm allowed to be fucking happy. And I can't run out of a room whenever I run into someone I've dated in the past, they can't determine how I live my life in the future.

"how are the little ones" Blake says, breaking the tension, and puts her hands on my defined belly. "good, seems to like it in there which helps" They seem snug and content in my belly, where I hope they will stay as close to the due date as possible. The longer they cook the better it is for the little tenants that have taken residence In my uterus.

"ready to be a dad?" Ryan asks Travis who grins "Terrified" I guess we both are a bit scared about the additions to our family. It's one thing to add one child, but two is a whole new ballgame. We are almost outnumbered by kids, that's scary.

"Imagine having four little girls. I grow more gray hairs every day" Ryan jokes and we all chuckle. Knowing him I know he loves being a girl dad, maybe because he doesn't know anything else, but I know he loves it. I can't wait for our kids to play together, even if they are years apart, I hope they will get along well. Since I'm so close with Blake and Ryan it means a lot to me that the new little family I'm building gets along with Travis and our babies as well.

"I can't wait for our kids to play together. James is so excited" Blake gushes and I can't help but grin back at her. She took the words right out of my mouth. We have been friends for so many years, and I've seen her through many fazes of her life. but I have never seen her as happy as she is when she talks about her kids, her whole demeanor lights up like a Christmas tree. I didn't think I would ever get the feeling, but now I think I do. I think I get like that when I talk about my babies as well, and they're not even here yet.

I'm trying to ignore him, but I feel Joe's eyes on me for the whole hour I'm standing here talking with Blake, Ryan, and Travis. Some come up to us every once in a while, to have a chat, but for the most part, it's been the four of us. However, Joe's eyes are trying to burrow into my mind, forcing me to look at him. But I refuse to give him the satisfaction that he has any control over me left, because he doesn't. That ship has sailed a long time ago. He is a memory from my past I'm not interested in revisiting.

Eventually, though I can't take the building tension and meet his eyes from across the room. He is standing with that Emma girl, the one he cheated on me with. I don't know if they are together, and I couldn't give a crap either. However, a lingering part of me feels the sting, the part that loved him for all those years. The part I've fought hard to let go of. I'm happy with Travis, and I don't want to go back in time. that doesn't mean it can't hurt regardless though. Time heals wounds but when they scar over there is still a lingering presence that hurts every once in a while.

Is it weird that I still want him to be happy? That I want happiness for him after what he did to me, how things ended? Does that make me a doormat or just the bigger person? I've just learned over the years that clinging to resentment won't help me in the long run and that moving on is the greatest revenge you can take against someone. I'm not a vengeful person, even though I might seem like I am at times, I just don't want to live my life fueling thoughts and plans of getting back at someone. Spending all my time on that.... takes away from my life here and now, and I don't intend on missing out on a second of the new life I'm building.

"I need to use the bathroom," I say and excuse myself. Travis looks hesitant towards me "You sure? Want me to come?" his eyes drift between me and the man from across the room, who I can feel still looking at me like a creep.

"I'll be fine, but I need to pee before I pee myself" I whisper the last part. I don't need everyone to know about my bathroom adventures.

"Okay, I'll stay here then. So you can find me afterward" he says and pulls me in for a quick peck on the lips, which I gladly return. When we separate, I still feel Joe's eyes on me, and I'm pretty sure Travis did as well. Did he kiss me because he wanted to or to prove a point to my ex? The idea that it might have been staking his claim, or territory, or whatever, leaves a bad feeling In my mouth. Travis wouldn't do that, right? He knows I'm his, that I love him. There is no need to show off to anyone. Kiss me if you want, but you don't need to do it to prove a point to anyone.

I quickly do my business in the bathroom, but I should have expected what meets me outside, or rather who meets me. joe.