silly arguments

-Taylors Pov-

"I've told you a million times and I'll tell you again. You're sleeping in the bed" Travis grumbles as we are getting ready in the hospital room this morning. Today our sleeping arrangements are being discussed again. I'm just worried that he will ruin his back by constantly sleeping on that bad couch when I could sleep there or trade the bed. a hospital bed isn't the most comfortable either, but it's better than the couch in this room. But no my stubborn man won't cave and trade off with me.

"but your back Travis. And you have workouts. Of course, you need more rest than me. your body needs it. can't you just say thanks and do it" I sigh. This started off as me casually offering and it turned quickly into a full-blown argument. I know it's gotten out of hand, but I'm too sleep-deprived to care right now.

"I don't care. You need it more than me. so shut it, Taylor. we aren't arguing about this, it's a non-negotiable" he says and puts away his toothbrush.

"you're so stubborn you can't see I'm trying to help you Travis" I throw my hands up, toothbrush in hand which was a bad idea because some dribble down on my shirt. Great now I need to change again, fantastic. It's not like I've already changed after a milk spill this morning.

"I don't have time to argue with you, Taylor. for god's sake just leave it alone. I'm fine and I'm not budging" he grabs his bag from the floor and heads out the door without another word. I know he is going to practice, and that it's important but it still stings. I hate when someone walks out in the middle of an argument because I want to finish it before we part.

My eyes fill with moisture, but I wipe it away. I won't cry, I refuse to cry. My babies are waiting for me, I don't have time for this.

Grabbing the milk I pumped through the night from the fridge I head over to the NICU to see my little ones. My little one-month-old is growing and advancing every day. But first I go to the place where you drop off milk "Hi Charlotte, good morning" I greet the lady that works there, a nice nurse. "good morning, Taylor. I see you have made plenty of milk last night. That's good."

I chat a little with her before moving to my kid's room. A room where one kiddo made a big change yesterday. Maddie is off the ventilator, only on C-pap now. That's a continuous pressure of air into her lungs, but she will need to breathe on her own.

"good morning, Taylor" Nurse Viviane greets me as she is changing Maddie's diaper. "good morning nurse Viviane. How was the night?"

I go over to my little boy and open the hatchet before gently sliding my hand in. I can touch them, and I've grown more confident with them over the last few weeks. It actually helps their stats if I hold a hand on their back, Especially Avery's stats.

"Maddie had some apnea at times, but she is a champ who sorted herself out. and Avery has been stable" I hate apnea after I learned what it was. It's when they stop breathing, which is terrifying. "are you sure it's still safe to have her on C-pap? What if she stops breathing?" I say and try to take comfort in feeling my son's skin against my palm.

"the doctor is coming around soon for rounds. But it is fairly common for babies to have apnea here, you're not alone in feeling scared about that. ask the doctor questions later, maybe it will calm you down. I understand why it's scary, I would think it was too" she says, and I take a deep breath, focusing on Avery and his breathing.

***

Good news and bad news from rounds today. The bad news is that Avery has developed something called BPD, bronchopulmonary dysplasia, after being treated for respiratory distress syndrome. It is not uncommon because babies with RDS have immature lungs and some babies that are treated for RDS might develop symptoms like fluid in the lungs, lung damage, or scarring. That's why it's going to take him longer to be weaned on the mechanical ventilator, and he will need medication to help make breathing easier.

It's scary getting this information without Travis here by my side. He is my rock and without him, I don't know how to handle it. but he is working, and we had that stupid fight this morning. I'm probably not the person he wants to talk to right now, so I'm going to suck it up and stand on my own two feet.

Maddie on the other hand is the good news, she is ready to try feeding from my boob or a bottle. So we are going to try that in a bit. It's a big but really important step towards discharge in the future. She will still be mostly fed through her NG tube, but some will come from my boob directly and I'm so excited to feel that bond with her. I just wish Travis would be there for this, be by my side, and experience it along with me. but I don't think he will be back anytime soon, I'm sure he needs a break or whatever.

-Travis Pov-

Practice is shit today, and it's only the weight room before drills for god's sake. I'm just pissed about my argument with Taylor this morning. I just want her to be comfortable, but she won't let me just bite the bullet on this one. And then she decides to pick an argument before I need to leave, and we leave things unfinished. I wouldn't say I like that feeling, leaving things half done, unfinished.

"what crawled up your ass and bit you?" Pat asks as we are lifting in the weight room. "fight with the misses?"

"yeah. Being cooped up together in the hospital for weeks isn't ideal" Taylor hasn't left the hospital in the month we have been here. at least I have some breaks at workouts, but she never leaves. She is almost constantly at our babies' bedsides while I go back and forth between the hospital and the stadium. If I'm going crazy from the repetitive days, I can't imagine what it's like for her at the moment.

"Britt and I never have had that issue with the kiddos. Not a single day in the NICU on us, so I can't relate. But I can't imagine it's good for anyone to be in the hospital day in and day out for so long. It's bound to cause tension, even I know that" he says, and he has a point. I think it's going to keep causing tension like the last few days if we don't both get a break. Not to mention get some quality time together to remind us of ourselves why we are together to begin with.

"I just want her to get rest right, sleep in the single bed in our room. But no she has to argue that we should trade the couch for fairness or whatever. I'm just trying to be a gentleman here, but she picks a fight over something so silly" Okay I might not have been innocent in picking that fight, because I didn't exactly put an end to it other than walking out. walking out on an argument is a shitty move, I know that, and I regretted it the second I got in the car. But I just didn't have it in me to walk back in and argue with her. Besides, knowing her she was already in the room with our kids, and I didn't want to argue in Infront of them. Babies can remember, right? I think on some level they pick up on the energy or something. I don't actually know, it's just a theory.

"Sorry man but sounds like she just wants your body to be up to the task of your job. Nothing wrong with that" he shrugs, and I grumble a whatever in reply. I don't like not being right. And she should just take the offer and go with it, not argue with me. who wouldn't want to have the more comfortable bed? and she just had surgery a month ago for god's sake and is still recovering from it. I'm not being unreasonable here, I'm not.