well-baby visit

-Taylors Pov-

"Ahhhh" Maddie coos from her car seat in the back. We are on our way to their doctor's appointment for a well-baby visit. If they were born at term this would be the two-month well-baby visit, but they are obviously older than that. god I can't believe they are 18 weeks old now, they are growing so much and so quickly.

It's late June and the sun sits high in the sky. Kansas City is surprisingly hot today and I don't mind at all. Except that babies aren't too happy about the sun. Maddie hates having the sun on her these days, so I cover her legs in a light blanket and make sure that the cover on the double stroller shields her face.

"That's right Maddie, ah" I coo back at her from the driver seat, making sure to still keep my eyes on the road as I pull into the parking lot at the doctor's office. Dr Camden comes highly recommended by Britt, so we naturally went with him when we were looking for pediatricians for the twins. I'm not familiar with doctors around here, and obviously not pediatricians, so whatever advice I can take I take it with open arms.

"come on munchkins, let's go get shots and a checkup" I try to sound excited, but I dread holding crying babies as they get their shots. But the shots are important, and Travis and I decided early on that we would get whatever is recommended by the CDC. Other parents can choose for themselves and their own kids, but we will be listening to what the CDC recommends as we are not doctors ourselves and therefore don't have the medical knowledge to really make an informed decision ourselves. Last time I checked I didn't have a doctorate in immunology.

I tuck both kids into the double stroller and head inside with one security guard following us while two others wait outside. I feel so silly sometimes having them around, but I don't have a choice. The kids and I need protection, and I won't let up on that even if I feel a little suffocated at times.

I check us in at the reception desk and take a seat to wait for our turn. Several other parents are waiting for her with their kids of all ages. There is another baby here and kids all the way up to a teenager having an argument with their parent.

"Avery and Maddison Kelce?" a nurse comes out to get us and I wheel the kids inside the room. Thankfully the doors here are big enough for my double stroller to fit inside. I do have another double stroller as well where the kids are both in chairs that are arranged over each other's, making it as wide as a regular stroller. But I prefer this one. Yes, I have more than one stroller, sue me. we also have two individual strollers for them, just in case we are taking one kid and not two. Overkill? Probably.

"hi, Miss Swift, nice to see you again. And it's good to see you again. You too Avery and Maddison" Dr Camden greets us as we head into his office. It's a nice modern office but with children's decor on the wall. He even has some pictures that some of his patients have drawn for him. "good to see you too dr Camden."

"so we are here for a well-baby visit today am I right? These two are 18 weeks if I'm, correct?" dr Camden asks and I nod "Yes. And based on what you said that means two-month milestones right?"

"that's correct. You've been paying attention, that's good. preemies are extra difficult for parents, especially with setting developmental expectations as they are later in development based on their birthdays compared to full-term babies. So counting development-wise from their actual due date is helpful to put things into perspective and adjust expectations" he explains again, and I've really taken that to heart.

It's hard to know your kids are older but not on the development level as another 4-and-a-half-month-old. They are on the level of a two-month-old now, and I think they are doing awesome at it. adjusting my expectations according to how the doctors have explained it has helped me a lot.

"let's take a look at them then. Shall we start with Avery?" he asks, and I get Avery out of the stroller and ready for a checkup. "how is he with smiling" the doctor says and smiles at Avery who smiles back at him. "he smiles if you do something silly or just smile big at him" I answer. Both kids do that, and it makes me so happy to see their little toothless grins.

One by one he goes through the development milestones for Avery, and we talk about where he is right on track and where he might be a bit behind. He isn't as vocal with coos as his sister, but with preemies, they are sometimes delayed in different things. He is also not a fan of tummy time, unlike his sister, so that has been difficult to get through as well. It just shows that just because they are twins doesn't mean that they are alike in all aspects. They are quite different already in several things.

Maddie gets the same checkup before it's time for the dreaded shots. "so just to see that I'm correct, you and their father want the full immunization schedule, right? The full two-month shots?" the doctor clarify, and I nod "Yes, we want to follow the guidelines. I'm not comfortable with going outside it without having the right education to do so."

"Well, I'm always happy when parents take the shots. So let's get it over with so you and the twins can head back home and continue the great progress. So far, they seem to be doing well. Avery is a little behind Maddison, but twins aren't all the same."

-Travis Pov-

I wish I could have gone with Taylor to the well-baby visit today, but I'm stuck in interviews all day. Preseason prep is in full swing and we are due to start training camp on Monday. The twins are doing amazing though, and I'm so proud of them. Avery seems to be lagging a bit behind his sister, but just because they are twins doesn't mean they will always be developing the same. Sometimes he will be behind Maddie and sometimes ahead. It's not a competition.

They have different personalities and it's already starting to show. Maddie loves all the attention and is a really vocal baby, while Avery is quiet and doesn't make a fuss. Only time will tell if it stays that way, or if they change as they get older. I'm excited to see where it's headed regardless.

"on to the next one Travis" Pia, my publicist says as she puts a hand on the small of my back directing me towards yet another interview room. I've been trying to talk to her about the leak all day, but she hasn't been interested. More information has been leaked since the first time and I'm sick and tired of not being able to trust the people around us. I want to figure out who it is sooner rather than later, but Pia isn't being particularly helpful.

Every time I bring it up, she bats her eyelashes and fucking giggle as she tells me "Oh Travis, let it go already" like that's going to make me let it go. This is my kids we are talking about; I'm not going to let it go before I figure out exactly who is behind this and so I know I can trust the people I keep close. It's starting to get on my nerves, but I'm at work and need to keep it professional even If she is acting weird today.