Chapter 1

I laid awake all night not being able to sleep. The house was quiet as everyone slept but not me. I could never sleep.
I watched the sun crept up and I knew it was time to get up. I got up and made my way to the bathroom first. I looked at myself in the mirror and I hated what I seen every time. My brownskin was bruised all over. My hair was thining, and I looked tired and raggedy. My body was small for my age and you could see my bones. I was skinny as ever. I took a 2 minute shower with the little soap we had. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I brushed my hair up into a bush. People loved my hair I kinda wanted to cut it.

I went and got my sister up next helping her get ready for school. "James I'm hungry!" Her little voice said as I fixed her ponytail.

Well when you get to school you can eat.

Ight y'all come on! Derrick directed for us to come downstairs. It was time for us to leave. We walked down the stairs. My dad was strung out on the couch with a band wrapped around his arm and a bent spoon in his lap. My mother was up doing two lines.

Hey babies! She smiled. Derrick covered Leah's eyes and I opened the door for us. We walked out the house and down the street. Derrick and I waited for Leah bus to come. We put her on the bus and started our walk. Derrick was in his first year of high school and I was in 6th grade. We both had skipped a grade. My dad took his bus pass for school each month and sold it. And my school didn't have transportation so we walked.

One day ima have one of those! Derrick smiled as a 2023 BMW drove past us.

Yeah right only niggas who got money like that is the ones on the streets! I laughed.

Mark my words lil bro one day that's gone be me.

I hear you!

Good! Cause when I get us up outta the hood ima get you and Leah whatever y'all want.

You really think we gone get out of here D?

Listen to me! (He turned to face me placing his hands on my shoulders.) I will not let mom and dad kill us! We will get the fuck out of here and ima make sure of it!

I nodded my head in agreement and we did our handshake. "Brothers for life!"

Have a good day lil bro, love you kid! He smiled. He crossed the street and started walking towards his school and I started walking towards mine. I was 10 blocks away from where I went to school at.

Well, We'll, Well! Look at what the drugs blew in. This kid Austin laughed as I walked past him and his crew. Austin loved to bully me and everybody else cause he was in 8th grade.

I tried to ignore them cause I couldn't get suspended again. I could feel them walking behind me. Before I knew it I was tripped. I licked my lips getting up as I seen a hand reaching for me.

Awwww you need your big brother help! He laughed making everybody else laugh. Derrick helped me up.

Why don't you fuck with somebody your own size? Derrick asked dropping his book bag.

Like who?

Me muthafucka! You the only fuckin nigga 15 in the 8th grade how many times you gone fail? Derrick yelled pushing him.

Oh you think you bad cause you skipped a grade! Nigga you still ain't shit but the product of a junkies! Suck my dick just like how to mother be doing my fathers and his Niggas. Austin laughed. Derrick laughed nodding his head before punching Austin in his face. I dropped my stuff and cracked Austin again. I broke his nose and his jaw. Before I knew it me and my brother was getting jumped by 6 niggas. We didn't give a fuck we held our own.

Hey, Hey, Hey! STOP! An officer yelled as a squad car pulled up. Everybody started running and skattering. Me and Derrick was grabbed and cuffed.

I can fight my own battles! I said angrily towards him. I never wanted Derrick to get in trouble or arrested I knew he would be kicked out the house plus he be in Juvie if he gets arrested.

Your my little brother and I'm never going to let anything happen to you.

How old are you.? The officer asked pulling him up.

He's 12! I blurted out before he could say his age.

He looked at me than at my brother. New York cops don't play and a black little boy would be the first to be executed. They shoot us first and never ask questions later.

Copy that we are in route! The other cop said into his walkie talkie. "Aye let 'em go we got a 613 in progress! They just a bunch of lil stupid ass kids will be seeing them soon or they'll be dead!" The cop yelled before getting in the squad car.

Next time I catch you two it's over! The cop said as he uncuffed us. We watched as the pulled off and I picked our stuff up.

Now we both gone be late!

It's alright we late Damn near everyday. Just get to school and stay out of trouble James.

I was until you showed up....

I'm not gone let anyone bully you. Yes you can fight and you know how to fight well but it was 6 of them niggas you think I was gone let you get jumped by yourself? I'm your older brother and I'm here to protect you, you got it?

Got it!

Now get to school!