Chapter 14

Mariana and Jack finally reached Zambia, she surely missed the ground and the way the soil smells. Like they say there is no other place greater than home no matter how beautiful it is. 

Mariana was in her apartment after Jack drop her off three hours ago and she slept for two hours she felt bored and thought she would visit her mother. 

Mariana got ready and got in her car. It took her one hour to reach her mother's house. Mariana packed her car in front of the garage and walked out. 

Mariana was about to go inside from the front door but spotted Jane watering the plants. She walked towards her and hugged her from behind by surprise. 

Jane was Mariana's young sister and was twenty two years old. She was light in complexion compared to Mariana. Jane got her father's skin color while Mariana got her mother's.

Jane had long blonde hair, green eyes ,a bit taller than Mariana and was slim. 

People sometimes didn't believe Mariana and Jane were blood sisters. They didn't look alike and were complete opposite to each other. 

****

Marana pulled away. Jane turned around and met her sister's big brown eyes. 

Jane smiled and hugged her sister " Hey Mariana, long time no see" Jane said as she pulled away from the hug. 

"Really I was here two weeks ago"

"Well to me it felt like forever"

"Whatever" Mariana said and walked passed Jane and picked up the hose pipe and splashed the water on her sister. 

"What the hell M, why did you do that am feeling cold? " Jane protested 

"Get lost Jane all your body parts are exposed only covering your damn private parts, so save me the drama" Mariana put the hose pipe down and looked at Jane " So where is mom? "

"Why are you asking me? It's not like am always found with her" Mariana shook her head and went inside the house. 

Mariana looked at the house and was happy it was all as she left it.  The house was nice and welcoming like always. Mariana walked at the corner of the room where all the photos were hanged of her and her family. She surely miss the days when her father was alive and the house only reminded her of him. 

After her mother got married again and had three more kids with Mariana's step father. 

Mariana went to the kitchen and found her mother cooking. She leaned against the door flame with a smile on her face as she watched her mother cook. Mariana's smile grew wider when her mother noticed her. 

"Hey mom" Mariana greeted with so much love. 

"Hey Mariana" Her mother stopped cooking and hugged Mariana. 

They both pulled away from the hug and smiled at each other " My baby I missed you so much, how have you been?and when did you come back? "

"Mom I missed you too and am fine. Well as for coming I came today"

Mariana sat on the kitchen counter and her mother went back to cooking. 

"What are you cooking? " Mariana asked as she got an apple from the fruit basket. 

"Nshima with chicken and rape(vegetables) "

"Wow then I will surely stay for lunch" Both Mariana and her mother laughed. 

Mariana looked at the door and saw a figure walk in. 

"Well... Well it looks like mother and daughter are having a bonding time, mind if you can both include me? "  Jane said and sat on the counter next to Mariana. 

 "Nothing much, come here and help me serve, the food is ready" Jane frowned to what her mother said.

"Cmon mom you have been with Mariana all this while in here why didn't you ask her to help you? "

"Jane stop with your nonsense besides I should be resting instead  of cooking but here I am doing it so at least help me with this and Mariana could eat something she must be hungry"

"Is Mariana the only one who wants to eat? Because am pretty sure everyone else is also hungry'. 

" Cmon Jane don't be like that " Mariana finally spoke "And mom why don't you just hire someone to help you with all the work around the house? It will be easier for you. You can't manage to do all the house chores alone this house is just too big for one person to clean and I know Jane does not help with everything "

"Exactly" Jane shouted and stood up so she was standing between her mother and Mariana. "Wow Mariana for the first time you have said something sensible that I agree with. I have tried telling mom the same thing over and over again but she just don't get it".

" No you are wrong I would have made someone else do everything for me and help with the house chores but your father does not like it and thinks we will be letting someone invent in our private life and space "

"Whatever" Jade said and looked at Mariana who was looking at her mother with an unreadable expression. The room became silent as the three became quite making it weird. 

Mariana's mother cleared her throat she didn't want this silence it was making her sick so she tried to lighten up the mood not knowing she only made it worse. "Well talking about your father he will  be here in about five minutes with your siblings" . 

Mariana jumped from the counter and looked at her mother with a smile " Sorry mom am no longer hungry I just remembered Jack is waiting for me I need to go, see you " Mariana said and left the kitchen not giving her mother to say another thing. 

Mariana opened the front door and was about to leave but saw four figures standing right outside. 

~~~~

* edit *