Fearing The Known

Nova tossed and turned in her cot, unable to rid herself of the ferocity that constantly clawed from within.

She whipped her head from side to side a few times, locked in an unconscious fight as she felt her brows crease, and her body tense.

...

...

In the confines of her own mind, all she could see was a beast. It raved and roared, trying to reach her, trying to get just within reach.

But she would run. She was running as fast as she could.

In this place there was no way of stopping. But nonetheless, there was no sign that she was getting farther away.

As she panted and pumped her arms, trying to go as far as her legs would carry her, she could hear it. The bellowing of it.

Nova was desperate, trying to shake her head, hoping that it would just fade away. But her prayers would go unanswered as she listened to the stamping of its paws grow closer.

...

A darkness would overshadow her, causing her to skid to a stop.

...

Now she was faced with the wolf again.

But instead of the wolf she knew, the wolf she used to be, all she could see were its sharp claws and fangs. Red, rageful eyes pierced her.

All she could do was brace herself and the creature leaped towards her, letting out a roar that would shatter eardrums.

But it seemed to just disappear, almost as if it phased through her.

Nova would learn that this was not the case.

She quickly would snap her head around, looking for any sign of the creature. Her fur stood on end; ears perked downward as fear continued to build.

...

...

As swiftly as it had disappeared would come the sudden pain. Nova felt her body lurch forward, and she stifled an agonized groan.

She couldn't keep herself up, and promptly fell to her knees, her surroundings growing hazy to her.

Her claws dug into the ground underneath her, trying to release some of that pain. But all it would do was leave marks, that pain growing worse, more intense.

Nova threw her head back as it all focused there, grasping tightly at her temple, wanting so badly to tear it out. To separate that creature from within. The creature that was not her.

...

...

There was nothing she could do. Her eyes would change drastically, revealing that same shade of red.

And all the while, she screamed, feeling her voice grow shrill and pained as it started.

Nova sat bolt upright, hands at her sides while she felt her shoulders rise and fall within mere milliseconds.

Time felt endless. It dragged on as she gazed at the metal walls, wondering if she was still stuck in that nightmare.

She wasn't.

...

Her breath was still uneven, and she could feel the shackles on her neck, the fur covering her body, standing on end.

She shivered as she took a second look around the room, trying to confirm that it was over.

Nova would fall flat onto her back, not caring if the blanket that kept her snug and warm would drape off the edge. It didn't matter to her.