A Warrior's Mark

...

...

Catra walked across the courtyard, joined by her feline friend Melog. Both were out on a stroll through the palace, distracting themselves from the worries of whatever chore or work they needed to do.

Her hair had started to grow a little, but it was only noticeable if one was to get close enough. The sky and the life that flourished across the fields however, they all remained the same.

It had to be about midday as she stood out there, her eyes lost in the colors of the sky's canvas. She took a deep breath and smiled while gazing at the beautiful scenery.

Melog would meow and Catra stifled a chuckle as she rubbed the top of their head, her thumb caressing Melog's ear.

...

"Feeling a little better today, bud?"

They mewed lightly, purring as they sat down. Catra relaxed as she laid on top of the railing with her arms behind her head.

Such a laid-back day didn't really require much from anyone. Much less from Catra in this instance.

...

"Yeah, I hear ya," She responded to Melog.

It's been over a month since she...

Catra internally sighed, realizing that by letting her mind wander, she was getting stuck on the topic of Nova again. She hated it when she did that, despite how much she wanted to admit it.

I miss her.

...

...

I know she said she'll be back. But the fact that no one knows when is... well... it hurts.

She felt as if she was preparing for a return that would never come. That maybe she just has to face the facts and understand that she may not see her at all.

Her main concern, however, was the fact in knowing that time can change people. For better or for worse.

And not just Nova, but even herself. Nobody really understood or stuck by her the same way Nova did.

...

Catra missed all of those things.

The way that Nova would sometimes trail her and wag her tail in curiosity, how she'd always try to bring a smile to her face no matter what the circumstances were, and the amount of hope she carried and spread.

Even when she wasn't fully herself, she managed to do it. It was something that Catra had seen and wanted to continue carrying in Nova's name.

But it was difficult, carrying those reminders with her. Not to mention having to watch it all happen, which was and still is its own struggle. Constant nightmares would plague the feline as she relived those experiences, filled with the pain and grief of losing her.

...

...

That little sentiment that Nova gave her back on the ship, though... that one little sentence, it held a lot of weight.

"She said that I never lost her," she said aloud, Melog perking up after hearing Catra speak.

...

"And she'll never lose me," Catra would reverse the statement, knowing that the chances of Nova ever hearing that were slim to none. She was out there, somewhere.

But part of her wanted to believe that maybe she could hear it. Maybe it would make her wish come true.

Melog would pipe up and meow again, to which Catra would feel their paws on her side as they purred.