Part 6:Monopoly

Flora Formula

We arrived at the island. Me and dad helped the twins out of the boat. I gave a hand out to Fabien and we followed Ivan again. Again. The whole day. We came to a woods. "Plenty of space to run.", I said. "Yeah, let's think about it, it's not that far to the coast, then we need to search for a village, they'll alert the police, and then we can go back. And say that we're not dead.", said dad. "That last part is going to be fun.", I said. "It is going to be.", said dad. We followed Ivan again, until we came to a house. It was made of wood, like a real forest cottage. But the inside, it was absolutely gorgeous. Before we knew, Ivan and Matthias were gone again. "You've got to be kidding me.", I said. "Well, we're better of without them.", said dad. "Let's see if qualifying is on.", I said running to the tv. I turned it on and saw that it was done. "It's already done.", I said. I put it on and we discovered the rest of the house. "It's a nice one, and we can actually go outside.", said Fabien. "Yeah, we can.", I said. "Flora, it says on the tv that Q1 is done, what does that mean?", asked Dre. The twins were looking at the tv. "So, the qualifying is done in three sessions. In Q1, the slowest five are out, that's their position to start the race. Soon, Q2 will start, and the slowest five will be out again. And in Q3 the top 10 try to score as high as possible.", I said. "Alright.", he said. "Who's out?", asked Daniel. "So starting from P20, we have uncle Logan, père Charles, uncle Alex, uncle Kevin, and uncle Valtteri.", I said. "Charles?", asked dad. "Yeah, P19.", I said. "He must have had a bad run.", said dad. "Probably.", I said. "So, let's play monopoly.", said dad. My brothers went to the table. "Flora, you too.", said dad. "Yeah, wait a minute.", I said. "Flora, now. Don't make me ask it again.", said dad in an angry tone. "But-", I said. "No buts, get your ass over here.", he said. I went to the table. Me and dad set the game. We explained it all to the boys. I was the car, I always was the car at home.

"I won!", yelled Diego. "Huh?", I asked. I didn't have a clue what happened. "You've been defeated, didn't think that would ever happen.", said dad. "I'm starting dinner.", said dad. "Alright, I'm going to go for a walk, be alone for a minute.", I said. "Alright, be safe out there.", said dad. "Alright.", I said. I put on my shoes and went outside. It smelled like it had just rained. It was already starting to get darker. I sucked in a deep breath and looked around, expecting to be pinned to the ground by one of those mafia guys. Just when I had finished the thought I heard a voice: "Flora, what are you doing outside?", I heard. My heart skipped a beat. It was Matthias. "Just walking.", I said. What was that? I looked at him and drew in a sharp breath. Holy shit, he looked good! His sharp jawline... his haircut, which made his curls hide a part of his eyes, the side somewhat shorter. His eyes. On me. "You realize somebody could've kidnapped you, do you?", asked Matthias. He sounded... angry. I looked at him angrily. "There's nobody around, so I don't know. I've been kidnapped before, you're the kidnapper. Tell me, am I in danger?", I asked. Matthias came closer to me. I noticed the earrings, two black crosses. He got even closer to me and I could feel his breath on my hair. My heart fluttered and I tried to ignore the feeling. "Maybe", he said, his voice low. My gaze went to his neck, where a necklace hung. Oh save me. I put a hand on my hip while setting a step back. "Why are you still here?", I asked. "Ivan had to do something.", he said. This guy and Ivan... I was about to ask him why he and Ivan spent so much time together when we heard Ivan call him. Matthias grabbed me and pulled me behind a tree. He. Was. So. Fucking. Close. To. Me. I was pretty sure that he would feel my heart. He pushed me against the tree and I placed my hands on his chest to try to push him away. He put a finger in front of his lips and I nearly gasped for air. Oh God, I was blushing! I heard footsteps and Matthias looked in my eyes. So intense. Ivan just passed us... When I was sure Ivan would not hear me, I laughed nervously. Matthias showed me a little smile. He leaned into me and pressed his lips on mine. Shit. This was wrong. No... Butterflies flew around in my stomach as he went with his hand through my hair. I was fourteen, was this wrong? He got even closer to me and it felt as if he wanted me to become part of that damn tree. Just about then Ivan decided to call Matthias again. As if I were stung by a bee I pulled away. Matthias smiled at me, but his eyes were dark. He wasn't done yet. "I should get going", he said as he fixed his hair because of the wind and set a step back. The air around me was suddenly very cold. "Go back to the house", he said, before leaving. I walked back home. I think I was still blushing.

I entered the cottage and put my jacket and shoes away. I think my brothers were upstairs. "Everything good?", asked dad. "Yeah, erm, I have a question.", I said. "What is it?", asked dad. "When did you have, your first kiss?", I asked. "Where is this coming from?", asked dad. "Erm, just thinking.", I said. "I was fourteen, it was a pretty girl, it was at a party.", said dad. "So, fourteen?", I asked. So, not that bad. "Why?", asked dad curious. "Dad, I might have done a bad thing.", I said. "What is it?", asked dad. "I might have kissed Matthias.", I said. "Matthias?", asked dad. "Yeah, we just bumped into each other, and Ivan was looking for him, and we had to hide. I was standing against a tree, he with his face towards mine, and it just happened.", I said. "With Matthias?", asked dad. "I know, that's bad right?", I asked. "No? I'm happy for you, but I just didn't expect it to be with Matthias.", said dad. "I know, I didn't expect it either.", I said. I actually didn't. "Should we talk about the higher step?", asked dad. "Dad, ew, I'm fourteen.", I said. He laughed. I hit him on his shoulder. We ate dinner. I kept thinking about that moment, I didn't hear the conversation of dad and my brothers.