Part 40:race time

Flora Formula

"Just let it slide, and press the pedal for dear life, and you'll get easier through that corner", I explained to uncle Zhou. Me and uncle Zhou were discussing it together. And the team thought we didn't notice it, but they were taking pictures for social media. "For dear life?", asked uncle Zhou as in bitch you serious? "Yeah, just brake as hard as you can", I told him. "What about your tyre?", asked uncle Zhou. "Well, they won't really get bad if you steer on time", I explained. "Damn, I'd rather be safe", said uncle Zhou. "Well, this sport isn't safe, and it is safe until you do weird shit", I told him. "Don't tell me, I've spent the Silverstone grand-prix upside down in 2022", said uncle Zhou. "Well, the halo saved you, but we know this when we sign the contract, it's what makes the sport fun", I told him. "No, it doesn't, the winning, the victories", said uncle Zhou putting away his headphones. "Also, but the adrenaline rush, I enjoy it, I like to go towards danger", I told him. "Because it's been taught to you during your life, but that's over because you killed them", said uncle Zhou silent. "Yeah, I hope so", I said. "Could they come back?", asked uncle Zhou. "I'm not sure, they could, they still remain a mafia with thousands of potential leaders", I explained him. We were walking upstairs to get ready. "But you did win", said uncle Zhou. "Yeah, that's where I'm not sure, because I know them, they might be evil, but they keep their promises", I explained. "I guess we'll see", said uncle Zhou. "Yeah", I said entering my room. "I cannot relive those 3 days, it was madness", said grandpa Seb. He probably overheard our conversation. "It was pretty normal to me, but, they should be backing off", I said. "Yeah, let's hope for that", I said. I put on some fire proofs and my suit until my waist. My trainer was there too. His name was Robert, the team had assigned him to me because he also lives in Monaco. I did some reactions exercises and neck strength exercises. And of course I warmed up my muscles a bit with a rubber band. Grandpa Seb and Robert were talking to me the whole time about the race and stuff to do. "Yeah, I'm just scared that my fathers will treat me differently", I said. "Well, we all know Max isn't going to do so", said grandpa Seb. "Yeah, but dad Daniel would", I said. "Well, I just think that they're going to make sure to not let you crash", said Robert. "Maybe", I said. I closed the zipper of my suit. "I will see you after the race", said Robert. "Yeah, bye", I said. I let myself fall on the bed. "Stressed?", asked grandpa. "Yeah", I said. "It's normal, from the moment you go in the car, it'll all be away", said grandpa. I knew because it was like that last time. "It still feels unreal, me, a 16-year-old girl, in formula 1", I told him. "You're good, and everybody sees it, you tell me when it was the last time that a rookie qualified so high", said grandpa. "I honestly don't know this time", I said. "It was in 2014, Kevin in fourth", said grandpa. "Where did he end?", I asked. "Well, technically third, but Daniel was excluded because of a maximum fuel thing, so Kevin ended in second", said grandpa. "Nice", I said. "Yeah, but, come on, it's race time", he said. I sat up straight and stood up from the bed. Me and grandpa walked to my car together.

"Come on, national anthem time", said dad Daniel passing me. "Yeah", I said. I put everything down and followed dad. "So, what do you think?", asked dad. "I'm hoping I'm going to end up in the points", I said. "You'll do", said dad. "Yeah, you never know, there could always be something", I said. "Yes, there can", said dad. We went to our spots and listened to the national anthem. The kid in front of me was almost my height. Why'd the second smallest driver has the tallest child, I didn't know. I clapped with everyone, and got ready for the race.

And off we go! It was a reasonable start, not bad, but not the best. I remained in P7 with a very pushy uncle Lance behind me. Alright, Flora, you're in a slower car. Keep him behind in the straights, and gain time in the corner. Don't push it quite yet, there's still 2 hours left. You'll get the person in front of you. Who was it actually? Grandpa Nando. I'm in an Aston Martin sandwich! I kept close to grandpa Nando, so that I would get DRS when it is enabled, so that uncle Lance stayed behind me. "Great start, keep it up", I heard Alex say. "Alright, am I closing on grandpa Nando, or is uncle Lance closing on me?", I asked. "Both", said Alex. Well, I could live with that. 6 laps go by as I finally attempt to go to P5. And go around the inside in that corner, outside in the following corner, and you should go in the inside in the next corner, and yes, I'm in front of him. Alright, next corner is an ugly one, and then the straight. Keep him behind, keep him behind, don't let him pass you, keep him behind. He makes an attempt to go around the inside in the following corner, but fails because I was in the benefit in the next couple of corners. Another straight, and then another one. Goddamnit! Yes, he didn't pass me. "Alright, great job, Carlos is 3 seconds ahead of you", said Alex. "Alright", I said. I saw on the big screen that he was fighting with uncle Checo and Père Charles.

"Box, box", I heard for the last time. My strategy was a soft-hard-soft. They put on the soft tyres and out we go. I was one of the last people to box. "What position am I in?", I asked. "That's P5, Charles in P4, and Carlos in P3, both within 3 seconds", told Alex. "Alright", I said.

I see them in front of me. "How many laps left?", I asked. "2", said Alex. Well, shit. Here we go. After a lap, we were battling like crazy. Last corner, last shot. I was in P5 still. We went three wide in the corner, and eventually I was P4. "That's P4, good job", said Alex. "Yeah, we did it.", I said happy. "Come on, take the car in", said Alex. "Will do", I said. I parked the car and went out of the car. "Flora, great job on that overtake!", said padre behind me. He was in P5, Père Charles in P4. "Yeah, thanks", I replied. I finished off the rest of the day. It was good. I went to sleep and my fathers went to party. They all got in the points, and papa and dad Lewis were first and second. Dad Lando was sixth, Père Pierre eighth, and dad Daniel tenth. God, I love this sport.