Part 27: Long sleeves

Flora Formula

23 august 2024

I walked in the parking lot, grandpa Toto drove with me to the paddock, my siblings were still in Austria with Jack and aunt Suzie. I wasn't wearing sporty clothes. I just had a straight leg jeans, with an oversized T-shirt and white sneakers. It was what made me comfortable. I also wore a cap and some sunglasses. "Damn, looking good today.", said uncle Oscar to me when he walked out of his car. "Hey, uncle Oscar.", I said. I still haven't smiled. It was almost a month ago. I've been trying to get to them, but the Wolff's are always in my damn way. "How you holding up?", asked uncle Oscar hugging me. "I don't know, it's been a month.", I said. "They'll be here soon enough.", said uncle Oscar. "Yeah, I hope so.", I said. "I wonder who Lando his replacement is.", said uncle Oscar. "Probably O'Ward or Palou.", I said. "Yeah, probably.", said uncle Oscar. We walked further through the parking lot to the access. I took my card and signed it. "Flora! Where are your fathers?", asked an interviewer. "Looking good today! Special occasion?", asked another interviewer. There were pictures all over me. I saw some of my other uncles coming to save me and uncle Oscar. "She's got no comment.", said uncle Checo reaching his hand against the interviewers to make sure I can get through. "Over here.", said uncle Kevin pointing to a building. We went inside. "Thanks.", I said. "No problem, how you holding up?", asked uncle Checo. "I don't know, my siblings are devastated.", I said. "Yeah, I can imagine that, have you got any idea where they are?", asked uncle Kevin. "No, I have no clues at all.", I said leaning back against the walls. "It'll be fine, they'll be okay.", said uncle Kevin. "Well, I for sure now papa isn't.", I said. "Why?", asked uncle Checo worried. "Three weeks ago, someone stabbed me, didn't go deep. It were with papa his keys, they had blood all over them, and it wasn't mine.", I said. "Fuck.", said uncle Checo going through his hair. "Yeah, I have no clue what to do.", I said. We talked a little bit further about the situation until they had to get ready. I didn't have anywhere to go, there were other drivers in my father their driver rooms. I went to uncle Oscar his driver room because I knew he would let me. I laid down and listened to music. It was my favourite thing to do when I was on track.

"Hey.", I heard. I put my headphones on my neck. "Hey.", I said to uncle Oscar. "I just wanted to let you know that your siblings are here.", said uncle. "Really, why?", I asked. "I don't know, maybe you should go to them.", said uncle while gathering some stuff to get ready for racing. "Alright.", I said. I went outside his room. "Hey, you sure you're fine?", asked uncle when I just passed the doorway. "Yeah.", I said. "I know you're lying!", he yelled as I walked away. "Then why bother asking?", I yelled back. I could hear him smirk. I went through out of the building. I saw them standing with my grandfathers. "Hey guys.", I said putting my arms on their shoulders. "Hey.", said Diego happy. "What are y'all doing here?", I asked. "We wanted to be with you.", said Dre. I smiled. I think it was the first time I smiled in a month. "Look who we have there!", said grandpa Christian in the distance. The boys all said hello to him. "Hey.", I said as he came closer. "Are y'all fine?", he asked to me and my siblings. "Yeah, we did pretty fun stuff.", said Diego. Fabien was standing a bit behind us just staring in the distance. I walked to him. "Hey, you alright?", I asked. He turned around. "Erm, yeah, I'm just a little distracted.", he lied. "You're thinking about our fathers, aren't you?", I asked. "Do you think they're fine?", he asked. "I don't know, I hope they are, but we know Los vendettas, they're pretty unpredictable, and don't care if someone dies.", I said. "Yeah, I figured.", he said. "But, we don't need to think sad, this has happened quite some times, we always manage to survive.", I said. "You saw papa his car keys, they were actually in you.", he replied. "Yeah, but it doesn't mean he's dead.", I said. "Yeah, but he's hurt.", said Fabien. I sighed. "And, there was a note, come to Mexico, that was three weeks ago, who knows what happened in these three weeks.", he said. I hugged him. "They'll be fine.", I said. He hugged me back and held me tight. "I miss them.", he said. "I know you do, but we always get together eventually.", I said. "I hope so, what if they're already dead?", he asked. "I'm sure they aren't.", I said. "How can you be so sure?", he asked. "I'm not, but I hope they are.", I said. "Hey, you guys okay?", I heard. It was grandpa Christian. "Yeah, we're fine.", said Fabien. "You sure?", asked grandpa Toto. "Yeah, it'll be fine, we're just missing our family.", I replied. "It will be fine.", said grandpa Christian. "Aren't you hot?", asked Jack. "Not really.", I said. I definitely was, I was wearing an oversized T-shirt with long sleeves. With a reason. "How can you not be hot?", asked P. "I guess I'm just not.", I said while lifting my shoulder. "No, a year and a half ago, you would only wear T-shirts with short sleeves, even when it was cold.", said Jack. Stop being smart, Jack. "I changed.", I said. "Show me your arms.", said grandpa Chrisitan. What? No, they can't see my arms. "Not where the media can find us, and if you're wondering, it's not self-harm.", I said. "Then, what is it?", asked grandpa Toto. "None of your business.", I said. "Do your fathers know?", asked grandpa Christian. "Well, I-.", I said. "They don't know?! Is there anybody that does?", asked grandpa Toto. "Well, I didn't really tell them, but they should know.", I said. "And another person saw the reason.", I said. "Je draagt langere mouwen sinds Baku vorig jaar, vlak nadat je ontvoerd was. Dus dat zou betekenen dat je littekens hebt waarvan je niet wilt dat mensen ze zien.( You've been wearing longer sleeves since Baku last year, right after you were kidnapped. So that would mean you have scars you don't want people to see.)", said Jack. "Jack...", I said. "It's true, isn't it?", asked Jack. "Really?", asked Fabien. "Yeah, it's because of that.", I said sighing. "Because of what?", asked P. "It's not my place to tell.", said Jack. Grandpa Christian and grandpa Toto both looked at me. "Fine, but not in front of the media.", I said. We went inside the Mercedes building to the meeting room. I took my oversized T-shirt off. I still had a shirt with short sleeves on under it. "Gosh, Flora? The hell?", said grandpa Toto. My arms were full of burn wounds, and scars of all the cuts. "It are scars, I haven't been showing my arms since Baku, last year.", I said. "Damn, the hell did they do to you?", asked grandpa Christian taking an arm. "It doesn't matter.", I said putting my oversized T-shirt back on. "Yes it does, that must have hurt.", said P. "It did, but it's over.", I said. Grandpa Toto his phone rang. "Crap, it's time, will all of you be fine?", asked grandpa Toto. "We will.", said P. Everyone nodded. Grandpa Toto and grandpa Christian walked away. I looked at the two practices and I left to the hotel. But when I woke up, I couldn't believe my eyes.