𝟹𝟼| 𝐈 𝐂𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐢𝐭 𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞

Saturday, October 25, 1997
6:55 am

"Y/n. Wake up." A voice whispered while attempting to shake you awake. You let out a faint groan, stretching your arms before popping both eyes open.

"Billy?" You squinted, trying to determine whether you were imagining him or not. However, when you felt his hand run up your arm, all memories of last night came flooding back at once.

Billy was already up, standing by your bedside as you slowly sat up to glance around. "What time is it? Did you sleep here?" You questioned, looking back at him.

"I shut my eyes for a second—" He half-explained before grabbing a cell phone from his pocket. "Your damn phone woke me up. It rang three times in the last fifteen minutes."

You caught the phone as Billy tossed it to you, each missed call being from Dewey as you checked it.

You set your phone on the nightstand as you fell back against the bed with a sigh. You knew Dewey was calling about Randy. He must've woken up already. But your bed was so warm and comfy, that you debated getting up. You've barely even processed the fact that Billy had pretty much spent the night with you... sleeping in the same bed. You can hardly remember the last time you shared a bed with him, though, it was definitely during your pre-teen years.

As you peeked at Billy through the blankets, you watched as he sat down on the edge of the bed to put on his shoes. He needed to find Stu, leaving him alone for six hours wasn't the best idea.

"How can you just get up and get ready so seamlessly?" You questioned in disbelief while throwing the covers off of you. You needed at least twenty minutes of mental preparation before getting out of bed.

Billy glanced at you over his shoulder, the ghost of a smile forming right as he shifted to fix his other shoe.

"You get used to it when you're constantly on the run from the police." He stated as if it were nothing.

"It doesn't seem like you're doing much running." You retorted, making Billy scoff as you dragged yourself from the mattress. Once you stood up, you walked over to your dresser to get ready, but not without reluctance.

"There's nowhere else to run," Billy cocked his head, and something flashed in his eyes that you couldn't make out.

"Well, maybe if you hadn't..." You trailed off as he narrowed his eyes at you. With a sheepish grin, you turned to pull out a fresh pair of clothes from your top and middle drawers.

"That isn't what I was getting at," He clarified as you were referring to his murderous past. "What I meant was, why would I want to run anywhere else?"

With the new clothes in your hand, you paused to face him. "What does that mean?"

Billy ran a frustrated hand through his hair while rising from the bed. Although he looked just as he did last night, you'd caught yourself admiring him.

"You're here," he put simply. You stared for a moment, uncomprehending until he continued, "Where else would I go?"

Originally, being tethered to Billy might've frightened you... but some part, deep inside, was relieved. You don't know what you would've done if you had lost him for good that night at Stu's. You couldn't forgive him for what he did yet, for some undecipherable reason, you were glad he was here.

"You know, you never answered me before... when I asked if you still love me," Billy reminded, completely out of the blue. Your throat dried with the intensity of his stare, not liking where this conversation was headed.