𝟶𝟽| 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐀 𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐎𝐧 𝐓𝐨𝐩

"Do you have any idea who would have left this in your locker?" Your principal, Mr. Himbry questioned as you sat in his office. You stared at the mask in his hand, the same screaming ghost mask the killer had worn.

You glanced to your left as two sheriffs stood by, waiting to question you regarding last night's murder. One you recognized as Tatum's older brother, Dewey, and the other as Deputy Burke.

"No. I have no clue," You shook your head, looking back at Mr. Himbry. You wanted to assume it was just some sick prank, but how would they know about the mask? You never mentioned it to anyone.

"That's alright, Ms. Orth," Himbry sighed, setting the mask down on his desk. "Before I release you, however, Deputy Burke would like to ask you a few questions. Would that be alright?"

You simply nodded, knowing it was expected of every student to oblige.

"How are you holding up? Your parents doing okay?" Deputy Burke questioned as you turned to him.

"I'm managing well. My parents and I, we're grieving." You answered honestly, though your mind still felt numb.

"I'm sorry to hear that," He apologized before carrying on to the questioning. "So tell me, did you consider yourself close with Casey Becker?"

"Since we were five." You said, reminiscing on the days of kindergarten you could barely recall anymore.

"Were you aware of her relations with your brother?"

"Not until recently, but yes." You answered, though confused on how that relates to the matter at hand.

You noticed Dewey writing your answers down as you spoke which made you extra cautious of your responses.

"And how did their relationship make you feel?" Deputy Burke asked in no particular manner, yet you furrowed your brows as the question felt like a trap.

"...I didn't mind that they were together. And what is with these relationship questions? This isn't going to help find their killer." You said, looking to Dewey for answers but his sympathetic expression gave you none.

You noticed the determined look on Deputy Burke's face as he interrogated you. He couldn't think you're the killer, could he?

"I hope you're not suggesting what I think you are," you spoke low as a sudden nausea surged through you.

"Well, I do find it odd that you managed to escape with barely a scratch while those poor kids were gutted and slaughtered like animals." You scoffed at his confession, wondering if anyone else thought the same.

You felt guilty for being the one who got away, but to be accused of murdering your own brother was enough to set you off.

"Alright, that's enough," Dewey stepped forward, finally intervening before you snapped. "She's already dealing with the loss of her brother, there's no need to give her a harder time."

"Thank you, Deputy Riley." Gratitude swirled in your eyes as you showed your appreciation to him by formally addressing him. Dewey's eyes slightly lit up at that as he gave you a cordial nod in return.

"I suppose you're right," Sheriff Burke cleared his throat. "That'll be it for today."

"Thank you, deputies." Principal Himbry said, placing a hand on your back. "Ms. Orth, you may return to class."

"Okay." You said faintly, rising to your feet. You made sure to smile at Dewey on your way out of the office, grateful for his leniency.

The minute you reentered the corridor, you were met with two arms being thrown over your shoulders from behind. "Yo, what'd they say?"

You looked over your shoulder at Stu, holding onto his arms as he leaned half his body weight onto your back, propelling your legs to walk forward down the hall.

"Other than being covertly accused as the killer, nothing really." You said while looking ahead to avoid oncoming students. Though you couldn't see his face, you felt Stu's body tense behind you.

"What's the matter?" You patted his arm for him to release you. As he did so, you spun around to face him.

"Why would they think it's you?" He asked, his bright blue eyes piercing you like daggers.

"Because I came out alive with no real injuries, while they were–" You stopped yourself from continuing, the thought was too gruesome.

"Gutted?" He asked, shamelessly.

You blinked at him as you pressed your lips into a thin line. "Your lack of sensitivity sometimes truly scares me." You laughed out.

"Sorry." He grinned. "I just find it funny that they would even consider you a suspect."

You frowned at that, not knowing whether to be offended or not. "Why couldn't I be a suspect?"

"Well... because you're you." Stu comically mimicked your tone from earlier. You scoffed at that, smacking his shoulder in return. "Ow!" He cried, using his arms to shield himself from your feeble attack.

"Okay, but I really do have an important question." He said suddenly, dropping his arms with the most serious face he could muster up. "You still coming to my shindig tomorrow?"

"Shit, Stu. I forgot about that," You confessed with a reluctant sigh. "I'm not sure I'll be up for it after what's happened."

"But you have to!" He exclaimed. "There won't be another killer party like this. You can't miss it, Orth."  He said as his parents are going out of town tomorrow. He'll have the whole house to himself.

"I don't know..." You dragged out, still unsure. Your parents may not even allow it after almost getting killed.

"Pretty please, with a cherry on top." He begged, rubbing his hands together desperately.

"Fine," You rolled your eyes, giving in to the boy. "I guess I can spare a few hours out of my day to simply hang out and drink beer at your place."

It might even help drown out your sorrows.

"Yes!" He cheered, kissing the side of your head aggressively before jogging backward down the hall. "You won't regret it, girl!"

You shook your head at him, grinning as you went your separate ways.

Stu, without fail, always manages to cheer you up, no matter the issue. Instead of walking on eggshells around you for what happened, he treated you normally. It was a trait of his you've grown to love since grade school.