𝟶𝟼| 𝐈 𝐌𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐒𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞

Thursday, September 26, 1996
8:00 am

When you arrived at school this morning, the courtyard was packed with official news reporters and police officers. Most students either looked confused or scared while walking to their classes. 

At first, you weren't entirely sure what attracted all the buzz until you heard a woman explain the matter as you passed by. You stilled as she spoke of what occurred last night at the Becker residency.

"Woodsboro, California, was devasted last night when two young teenagers, Casey Becker and Steven Orth, were found brutally murdered. Authorities have yet to issue a statement, but–"

Gale Weathers. The woman who wrote a book, defending the "wrongly accused" murderer of Maureen Prescott, Sidney's mother. Though some do believe Cotton Weary is innocent, you took your friend's side in the matter and never read the book.

"Damn! What is going on?" You heard a voice question from behind you.

You came face-to-face with Sidney as you spun around. Before you could respond, your other friend, Tatum, arrived suddenly.

"Casey Becker and Steve Orth were killed last night..." She trailed off as she looked at you, her eyes widening. "My God! Y/n, what're you doing at school? I heard you were there. Are you alright?"

She threw her arms around you, squeezing you in her death grip as she was glad to see you alive and breathing. You let out an airy laugh as you hugged her back, "Yes, Tate, I'm okay."

"Wait, what happened? Where were you?" Sidney asked just after Tatum released you.

"She was there when they were killed and she's the only one that survived. It was straight out of a horror movie," The blonde explained for you.

"Jesus, that's awful. I'm so sorry," Sidney couldn't believe it as she looked at you with condoling eyes. "I'm surprised you came to school."

"I can't afford to miss our English test," You half-joked. Truthfully, you didn't want to tell them that you were scared to be alone because the killer was still out there. The thought alone was demeaning enough.

The two girls didn't know whether to laugh or feel bad as the three of you continued to head toward the school building.

"Casey Becker sits next to me in English," Sidney revealed, still reeling from the news.

"Not anymore," Tatum quipped. "It's so sad. Her mom and dad, they found her hanging from a tree. Her insides on the outside."

Images of the described scene flashed in your mind as the blonde explained to Sidney. You grimaced and tried forcing the thought away. Tatum caught your expression and instantly apologized which you waved off with a weak smile.

"Oh, my God! Do they know who did it?" Sidney asked, seemingly disturbed.

"Fucking clueless." Tatum scoffed. "They're interrogating the entire school. Teachers, students, janitors."

"They think it's school-related?"

"They don't know. Dewey was saying this is the worst crime they've seen in years. Even worse then–" Tatum abruptly paused. It was clear she was about to refer to Maureen's death but caught herself in front of Sidney. "Well... it's bad."

She avoided the gaze of her brunette friend before heading inside the school.

Sidney knew what Tatum was alluding to, her brows involuntarily furrowing as she appeared nettled.

"You okay?" You asked. The anniversary of her mother's death was this week.

Sidney's face relaxed when she looked at you, shrugging. "I don't know... you?"

"I've been better." You said, mimicking her shrug. She shook her head, smiling at you before throwing an arm around your shoulders.

You smiled back, feeling a little better with her around. At least there was one other person who understood how you felt.

"Come on. We have English." She said, and you both walked inside.

While heading to your class, you remembered you had left your books in your locker instead of bringing them home with you yesterday.

"Wait, you go ahead without me. I have to grab my book." You said as Sidney removed her arm from your shoulders.

"You sure? I can come with," She offered.

"No, you don't have to. I'll be quick."

She nodded at that and continued down the hall while you took a detour to your right.

You felt the curious eyes of the other students as you passed by them. Some wondered how you escaped the masked killer whilst others felt pity as you lost both your brother and best friend on the same night.

You avoided their gazes, staring down at your feet until you arrived at your locker. Someone was already standing there, waiting for you expectantly.

"Don't look at me like that, Stuart." You narrowed your eyes at him before he could even get a word out. "What do you want?"

"Woah..." Stu whistled, leaning back against the lockers. "What makes you think I want something?"

"Well, because you're you." You almost laughed as his mouth fell agape.

"Ouch!" He placed a hand over his heart, moving to your other side as you turned to put in your locker combination. "Words hurt y'know?"

You bit the inside of your cheek, fighting back a smile which he quickly caught.

"I saw that." He pointed at you, grinning widely.

"Saw what?" You questioned, acting confused.

"I made you smile. Didn't think I'd see that today." By now, Stu had heard about what happened last night, how you were there during the murders.

You sensed that he avoided bringing up Steve or Casey as he knew it'd upset you. But that didn't mean he wouldn't act himself as he tends to never take anything seriously. It was a habit he has had for as long as you've known him.

"What can I say? You have a funny face," You teased.

As you opened your locker, Stu's grin slowly faded as he looked past you, into the compartment. You followed his gaze with a frown only to release a frightened gasp while jumping back.

"What the fuck?"