𝟶𝟿| 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐁𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬

"Sidney?" You called out into the hall as you were in search of your brunette friend.

With all the insensitive jokes being tossed around about your brother and Casey, you felt Sidney was the only person mature enough to talk to. Besides, she must be having a hard time with her mom's anniversary coming up, and now the murders.

You sighed, glancing around the empty corridor, and leaned against the bathroom door. Running water from a sink could be heard from inside before the door was pushed open against your back.

"Oh! Y/n, sorry." You straightened up upon hearing Sidney's voice as she exited the bathroom. She looked almost relieved that it was you. "Were you waiting for me?" She asked.

"Yes, actually." You said. "I hope you weren't too bothered by what they said out there. They're idiots, but they didn't mean any harm."

"I know that." She nodded, her voice a little higher than normal. "It's just... you know, the police and reporters and everything-"

"You get deja vu?" You asked, and she just sighed in response.

You placed a hand on her back in hopes of bringing her solace as she wrapped her arms around herself.

"It may sound crazy but I can't help but feel like this is somehow tethered to my mom."

"You're not crazy Sid," You reassured while rubbing her back. "It makes sense why you would feel that way."

Sidney scoffed out a laugh as her arms fell to her sides, "Look at you comforting me when it should be the other way around. God, I feel horrible... you shouldn't have had to witness something like that."

"Y'know, it kinda feels like I'm on autopilot right now." You expressed, which left Sidney looking a little confused. "Like I can physically feel the sadness in my body, but my mind feels absolutely numb. I don't think I can cry now even if I wanted to."

Sidney raised her eyebrows as she tried to comprehend what that was like, "Wow, Y/n, that's..." It made you laugh as she couldn't even finish her sentence.

The hall fell silent again as Sidney stared down at the floor, pondering for a moment before looking up at you once more.

"Hey, do you mind if I come over tonight?" She asked. "My dad just went out of town and I don't want to be alone in the house with a killer on the loose."

"Yeah– wait, actually, how about we go to Tatum's instead, and maybe order take-out? It'll be safer with Dewey there to watch out for us." You said, knowing Tatum would always be down for a slumber party even if there is a murderer running around town.

"That sounds perfect." Sid smiled. "You still staying after school for practice?"

Your expression displayed your sudden surprise as you had forgotten about cheer practice. You definitely weren't up for it, though coach would probably give you a dead brother pass if you skipped.

"No, but I do have to pick up Steve's things from his locker before I leave..." You trailed off as you looked at the clock on the wall. Next class was about to start. "Though, I should probably go do that now before I forget."

"Okay, I'll see you later tonight then?" She asked, and you smiled at her while nodding.

The two of you went on your separate ways as you proceeded to find your brother's locker, heading down the empty staircase as most students were still having lunch.

Steve's death still didn't feel real. You keep expecting to hear his voice down the hall, or to look out on the football field and see him practicing with his team. The reality of the situation didn't hit you until you arrived at his locker. It was beautifully adorned with flowers and cards from his classmates and friends.

You released a shaky breath as you stared down at the small memorial for him, the sight made your heart clench with grief.

Yesterday started off better than usual as Steve and Casey asked you to their movie night, planning to explain the entirety of their relationship... and now they're dead. They were alive yesterday, and today they're gone. Your brain can't even process that. What are you supposed to do now?

You gasped when you suddenly felt a hand on your shoulder. With wide eyes, you looked to your left to see Billy standing there with furrowed brows. "It's just me." He said, pulling his hand back.

"Jesus, Billy. You scared me,"  You sighed, turning to face the boy with a weak smile. "You didn't see me zoning out, did you?"

He tilted his head slightly, debating on whether he should be honest or not before ultimately nodding. "Yeah, but I don't think anyone else noticed." He declared while glancing around the empty hallway.

You laughed at that, though, your smile slowly faded as your eyes panned back to Steve's locker.

"You okay? You seemed upset earlier." He asked, stepping closer to observe the memorial.

"I'm alright now. I just came to grab Steve's stuff."

You peered at Billy through your peripherals when he didn't respond. His gaze was focused on the picture frame of Steve sitting on the floor. Steve was wearing his football jersey in the photo with a bright grin stretching his lips. That was one of his best pictures, you thought.

"Hey, you doing anything after school?" Billy asked, finally looking back at you.

"Why? You wanna come sneak through my window again and hang?" Billy quirked a brow at your teasing.

"That doesn't sound too bad." He remarked. The smirk tugging at his lips insinuated the flirty intent behind his words.

"No, it doesn't," You agreed, biting back a smile. "But, I can't. Sid and I are gonna spend the night at Tatum's."

For a split-second, Billy seemed disconcerted before his expression returned to normal. You caught it, but chose not to say anything.

"And do what?" He shoved his hands in his pockets, acting unbothered.

"I dunno. Watch a movie maybe, gossip about boyfriends..." You half-joked, hoping to ease some of the tension.

"Nothing bad about me I hope." His charming smile left you flustered as he had gotten so close without you even realizing.

"No! Never," You said, reflexively placing a hand on his chest to keep some distance between you two. "I couldn't find one bad thing about you even if I tried."

"Yeah?" Billy's gaze flickered down to your hand then back to your eyes. He could surely see the inner turmoil you were experiencing at his close proximity.

Fortunately for you, the bell rang, signaling that lunch was over and it was time to head to class. A relieved breath escaped you as Billy stepped back, but his unreadable expression only confused you.

"I'll see you later, Orth." He said before leaving you alone in the hall.

You shook the confusion away, placing your prime focus on your original task to clear out Steve's locker.