Chapter 17

Noelle entered the ballroom ten minutes after the ball had started. She wasn't thrilled that she was attending it alone, but she didn't really know anyone on campus except those in her class. Her class was full of mated men, none of which were in attendance tonight.

For the first few weeks, Liam had become her friend and they'd spent a lot of time together, but she'd always been aware that he was Astrid's mate, even if he hadn't told her. It wasn't really that he was trying to keep it from her; he just hadn't told anyone. Or even spoken to Astrid.

Once he'd finally claimed Astrid as his, her circle of friends had grown to include Liam's twin, Finn and his mate, Emily. But Noelle was the fifth wheel in the group, the odd one out, the only one not mated. Once they'd come home, the newly mated couples had spent most of their time alone, and she couldn't blame them.

She scented the air the moment she entered the ballroom, searching for her mate. Soft music filled the room as dancers in tuxes and ball gowns held each other close, swaying to the beat of the music, new couples already enjoying each other's company. They all wore masks, their identities hidden to the average onlooker.

The mating ball looked to have been a success for many that night, but others watched from the sidelines, disappointed that their own mates hadn't made an appearance.

Noelle was one of those on the sidelines. Her mate wasn't in attendance, and she was disappointed, but not surprised.

She knew expecting to find her mate so early in her life was stupid, given her family's history. Her father had been over three hundred and fifty years old when he'd found his mate, her grandfather over four hundred.

She sighed, already bored with the entire thing. She should have just flown home with Nick. Or better yet, stayed in California with him.

'That would have been nice,' Holly, her wolf muttered as she swished her bushy black and white tail back and forth in time to the music.

'We don't need to be attracted to him,' Noelle muttered.

'Maybe not, but we are,' Holly responded.

"Care to dance?"

Well it was about time someone asked. She turned to see a gorgeous man standing there with dirty blond hair, green eyes, and a closely trimmed beard. He was very much human. For a human, he was incredibly well built, and if it wasn't for her sense of smell, she'd think he was a werewolf, given his height and size. She looked him over, surprised to see him in a tux. He filled it out nicely. She suddenly wished this wasn't a masquerade ball, and she could see all of his face. "I'd love to."

She placed her hand in his warm one and he brought it to his lips, his beautiful eyes never leaving her face.

He led her out onto the floor and began to dance with her, pulling her close. He was a good dancer, better than she was, and she let him lead. They danced the night away, laughing and chatting about nothing consequential.

Stories of how her parents met floated through Noelle's mind. They'd met at a club and danced the night away before returning to a hotel. Sort of a similar situation, but this man was not her mate. She found herself a bit disappointed by that, as she was highly attracted to his good looks, and wonderful personality.

As the hour grew later, she finally walked outside with him to get some fresh air.

The night was cool, and she felt like she could breath again after being in the stuffy ballroom.  He wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her close to his side.

"I know what you're thinking. Why is a sexy human like me hanging out at a boring werewolf mating ball at an all werewolf college?" He smiled at her.

"The thought might have crossed my mind a couple of times tonight," she acquiesced. There weren't even many humans around campus, just the ones that were employed at the restaurants and shops. "Are you a student here?" She was fairly certain he was the only human she'd scented in the ballroom besides those that were actually working.

"I am. I was adopted by werewolves as a baby," he told her with a smile. The man has a beautiful smile.

She looked at him in surprise. "So you've grown up around all of this." He smelled of pack, something humans would acquire when they were inducted into one. She'd noticed it earlier when they'd been dancing together and had started to put two and two together.

"Yup. Came here to take some courses," he said. "This is my last year. I graduate in the spring."

"And the ball?" The chances of him having a mate were slim to none which she thought kind of sucked for him given that he'd grown up in the werewolf community. She was sort of surprised he'd even come to the ball at all.

"Just came to find a pretty single woman to dance with. I think I picked out the prettiest one at the ball," he said, admiring her.

She blushed. "Thank you for keeping me company tonight."

"Anytime. I had fun," he admitted, stopping and turning towards her.

"So did I." She grew quiet for a moment. "So which pack are you from?"

"Columbia Pack." He ran a hand up her bare arm.

"Washington State. Alpha Arlo." She shivered lightly under his touch.

"You know him?" He seemed surprised she knew that much.

She smiled. "No. I just know my packs. Mostly."

He leaned closer towards her, and gently touched her cheek. "Pretty and smart."

She smirked. "Maybe."

He began to walk again. "So which pack are you from?"

Noelle slipped her arm through his. "It's a secret."

He looked at her. "I can keep a secret."

She laughed. "Promise?"

He turned back towards her. "Promise."

She smiled up at him, and was pleasantly surprised when he suddenly leaned down and kissed her.

His hands traveled around to her back, pulling her close as his warm lips pressed against hers. He nipped lightly at her bottom lip and she parted them, letting him explore her mouth. He was gentle with her, taking his time, and she sighed softly, as finally he pulled back, looking at her. His fingers traced the edge of her mask, and she waited for him to remove it.

"Hey Ian! You coming?"

A group of guys were gathered across the lawn, having just exited the building, a few she-wolves mixed in with them.

"I have to go. I had fun." He said softly, touching her cheek again.

"Wait!" She pulled him down close, burying her face in his neck and taking in his scent. For a moment she felt almost intoxicated by it. "Thank you for making this night a good one. I had a lot of fun."

He smiled at her and took a step back, his gaze still on her, before he finally turned and headed towards his friends. He got about twenty feet away before he stopped, turned and headed back towards her.

Noelle watched him approach and he stopped a foot away, staring at her. Then suddenly, he closed the distance and kissed her again. He pulled back, his hands on her cheeks. "I wish I could get to know you better, but I'm not your mate. You're so beautiful." His fingers traced her mask again, then he pulled back and sighed. "It's better that I don't know."

His hand ran down her arm and he took her hand, then lifted it to his lips, gently kissing it before he turned and walked away, joining his friends.

She watched one wrap an arm around him as they laughed and joked with him.
She sighed, feeling disappointed.

She wouldn't mind getting to know him better either, but he was right. He wasn't her mate. Why did she keep finding herself attracted to men that weren't for her?

At least he'd kept the night interesting, though she was still disappointed she hadn't found her mate. Noelle turned and started walking across campus, back towards her dorm.