Chapter 28

Noelle rolled over on to her back the next morning and stared up at the ceiling. She'd actually slept well last night, much better than she'd anticipated. What an insane last twenty-four, no forty-eight hours it had been.

Two mornings ago, she'd woken up in Nick's arms. Yesterday, she'd woken up buried under Alex. This morning, she was home, and in her own bed, alone.

Alex and Nick were two entirely different men, and looking back, she much preferred waking up with Nick. He hadn't tried to suffocate her. Instead he'd given her an orgasm.

'That's because he's ours,' Holly said, her bushy tail swishing back and forth.

'Holly, did you think something was wrong with Alex? Did you sense anything?' Noelle asked her. Holly really hadn't been overly excited about him. She'd been more excited about Nick before they'd even met Alex. And Alex had been their mate.

'The moment he said he was an Alpha, I got concerned. I didn't want to be. He was Mate. But I sensed something was off,' Holly admitted.

'My heart doesn't ache as bad today,' Noelle said. It was a relief. Yesterday, she'd felt like she was going to be crushed under the weight of her heart break, but not today.

'We have a new mate,' Holly said. 'We have a new bond to replace the old one. It will tremendously ease the heartache. We're more angry now than anything."

She wasn't wrong. If she stopped to take the time to think about Alex and the entire situation at all, she got mad. Which was why she was going to avoid thinking about it at all today unless she had to. She knew the questions were going to come. It was inevitable.

'Think about Mate instead,' Holly suggested.

Not a bad idea. She was still trying to wrap her head around that. Nick Seely was her mate. She felt like she needed to repeat it over and over again until she actually believed it.

'You'll believe it when we see him this morning,' Holly said.

She wasn't wrong. How would it be when she laid eyes on him, when she met his gaze for the first time? She shivered in anticipation.

Noelle sat up and looked around her room. She was supposed to move out this week, so that her mother could turn this room into a nursery. She sighed. She supposed she didn't need to move into a new apartment now. But she wasn't exactly ready to move in with Nick either. She frowned down at the boxes until she suddenly had an idea. Grandma?

Noelle Remington, how are you mind linking me if you're in Florida? came back Charlotte's immediate reply.

Ugh. How many people knew? It's a long story that I'd really like to discuss with you. And I have a question for you as well.

Well, why don't we talk after breakfast then? Charlotte suggested.

That would be perfect. See you then. She got out of bed and walked into her closet, looking for something to wear. She finally decided on some leggings and a T-shirt. She almost put it back when her thoughts drifted to Nick, but she really did want to go to the gym this morning. She needed to. And the man had already seen her in everything. She didn't think he'd care what she was wearing.

'He'll notice,' Holly said. 'Mate will notice us much more now.'

'Do you think I should change?' Noelle asked her.

'No. Maybe mate will come spar with us,' Holly suggested.

Maybe. Or maybe he'd stay far away. She still wasn't fully convinced that he wouldn't reject her. It was going to be in the back of her mind now until he marked her. Until he was buried deep inside of her, his canines buried in her neck.. where had that come from? Thoughts of him pressed up against her ran through her mind and she swallowed. She shook her head, realizing she was staring into space, lost in thought.